13 February 2017, 19:13
Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal
Kishinev, February 13, Interfax - Moldavia faces a scandal connected with the distortion of national flag demonstrated during president Igor Dodon's visit to Iran.
The Moldavian leader, who is also a president of the chess federation, participated in the ceremony of opening the world chess championship among women in Iran. The national flag of Moldavia was set up behind the president's back. The coat of arms depicted at the flag lacked the cross in the eagle's beak and scepter. Dodon posted the photos in Facebook right after the ceremony.
Certain mass media paid attention to the distortion of the flag. Journalists blamed the head of the state in profanation of state symbols and reminded that Dodon had recently won the elections under slogans for protecting Orthodoxy and Christian values.
Pro-presidential media reported that the president had nothing to do with it and the host side was responsible for it.
"For reasons of political correctness leaders of Muslim countries take off crosses and other Christian symbols from flags of other states. It is practiced in many Islamic states and the president had nothing to do with this practice," pro-presidential portal Blocknote-Moldova writes.
Dodon also participated in the discussion and promised to clear it out in the commentaries to the post.
"The host is responsible for the flag during the visit, not the president. The ambassy is usually responsible for the question, but Moldova does not have its embassy in Teheran. We will clear it out. We will have a meeting with the Iranian president. If they don't have real national flag of the Republic of Moldova, I will insist that they should take off the flag," Dodon wrote.
- Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform 20 October 2017, 10:27
- Interior Ministry official suggests criminalizing gay propaganda 19 October 2017, 17:00
- Prominent Tajik heart surgeon detained on suspicion of links to Salafis – media 19 October 2017, 15:53
- Moscow mufti warns that foreign radical preachers want to sway CIS Muslim space 19 October 2017, 10:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04