13 February 2017, 19:13
Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal
Kishinev, February 13, Interfax - Moldavia faces a scandal connected with the distortion of national flag demonstrated during president Igor Dodon's visit to Iran.
The Moldavian leader, who is also a president of the chess federation, participated in the ceremony of opening the world chess championship among women in Iran. The national flag of Moldavia was set up behind the president's back. The coat of arms depicted at the flag lacked the cross in the eagle's beak and scepter. Dodon posted the photos in Facebook right after the ceremony.
Certain mass media paid attention to the distortion of the flag. Journalists blamed the head of the state in profanation of state symbols and reminded that Dodon had recently won the elections under slogans for protecting Orthodoxy and Christian values.
Pro-presidential media reported that the president had nothing to do with it and the host side was responsible for it.
"For reasons of political correctness leaders of Muslim countries take off crosses and other Christian symbols from flags of other states. It is practiced in many Islamic states and the president had nothing to do with this practice," pro-presidential portal Blocknote-Moldova writes.
Dodon also participated in the discussion and promised to clear it out in the commentaries to the post.
"The host is responsible for the flag during the visit, not the president. The ambassy is usually responsible for the question, but Moldova does not have its embassy in Teheran. We will clear it out. We will have a meeting with the Iranian president. If they don't have real national flag of the Republic of Moldova, I will insist that they should take off the flag," Dodon wrote.
- Female bikers will carry out a pilgrimage on bikes across Russia 28 April 2017, 21:09
- Military court sentences Moscow mosque imam charged with justifying terrorism to 3 years' imprisonment 28 April 2017, 19:37
- St. Nicholas relics to be brought to Russia from Italy for first time in 930 years on May 21-28 28 April 2017, 13:01
- St. Isaac Cathedral can gain a status of patriarchal representation 27 April 2017, 21:27
- Lenin should be buried out of compassion for his soul, Russian Muslims and Jews believe 27 April 2017, 21:26
- FJCR urges Trump to prove his adherence to struggling against anti-Semitism 27 April 2017, 12:22
- Russia conveyed 1.5 tons of humanitarian aid to residents of a Christian city in Syria 26 April 2017, 15:54
- Stepashin tells about Yeltsin's plans to demolish Lenin's mausoleum 26 April 2017, 14:18
- Unidentified criminals committed an arson at the territory of a Moscow Patriarchate church 25 April 2017, 18:09
- Chechen mufti meets with Syrian president in Damascus – Kadyrov 25 April 2017, 10:43
- Special services have no info on persecution complaints from sexual minorities in Chechnya – Kremlin 25 April 2017, 10:16
- EU should wait for reports on persecution of gays in Chechnya to be confirmed before condemning – Lavrov 25 April 2017, 10:15
- Public prosecutor seeks 3.5 years in prison to Moscow mosque imam charged with terrorism justification 25 April 2017, 10:00
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28