15 February 2017, 10:07
Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador
Moscow, February 15, Interfax - Israeli Ambassador to Russia Gary Koren hopes that Russia will determine the definition of the word 'anti-Semitism' to avoid different interpretations of this word.
"The OSCE has attempted to determine a text, which ought to define what can be classified as anti-Semitism and what its working definition is. We are discussing this issue with the Russian Foreign Ministry and hope that Russia will adopt this definition in the future, and then this issue will be clarified for people who try to justify themselves by saying that their statements allegedly hold no insult to the Jews," the ambassador told Interfax, commenting on State Duma deputy Vitaly Milonov's recent statement.
As reported, deputy Milonov said in conclusion of the sacred procession around St. Isaac's Cathedral: "Christians survived despite that fact that the ancestors of [members of the St. Petersburg's Legislative Assembly] Boris Lazarevich Vishnevsky and Maxim Lvovich Reznik had boiled us in cauldrons and fed us to animals."
"Israel is a Jewish country, therefore, we regard more sensitively manifestations of anti-Semitism across the world. We, as the Jewish country, enjoy the right to determine, what anti-Semitism is and what it is not," Koren said.
"People who live in Russia and on the European continent and not only there, have some barometer, which quite easily gives a definition, if the statement is addressed to certain people due to their ethnic identity, the 'fifth article', as it used to be in the Soviet Union," the ambassador said.
Before the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Holocaust, Israel has officially adopted the definition of anti-Semitism on the basis of the International Alliance of the Remembrance of the Holocaust Victims working definition: "Anti-Semitism is a specific idea about the Jews, which can be expressed in hatred towards them. Verbal and physical manifestations of anti-Semitism are directed against the Jews or the non-Jews and/or their property, Jewish community institutions and religious facilities."
The definition recognized that the expressions of anti-Semitism can also involve the attacks on the State of Israel, when it is presented as a Jewish collective (criticism of Israel similar to criticism of any other country's actions is not anti-Semitic).
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28