15 February 2017, 10:07
Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador
Moscow, February 15, Interfax - Israeli Ambassador to Russia Gary Koren hopes that Russia will determine the definition of the word 'anti-Semitism' to avoid different interpretations of this word.
"The OSCE has attempted to determine a text, which ought to define what can be classified as anti-Semitism and what its working definition is. We are discussing this issue with the Russian Foreign Ministry and hope that Russia will adopt this definition in the future, and then this issue will be clarified for people who try to justify themselves by saying that their statements allegedly hold no insult to the Jews," the ambassador told Interfax, commenting on State Duma deputy Vitaly Milonov's recent statement.
As reported, deputy Milonov said in conclusion of the sacred procession around St. Isaac's Cathedral: "Christians survived despite that fact that the ancestors of [members of the St. Petersburg's Legislative Assembly] Boris Lazarevich Vishnevsky and Maxim Lvovich Reznik had boiled us in cauldrons and fed us to animals."
"Israel is a Jewish country, therefore, we regard more sensitively manifestations of anti-Semitism across the world. We, as the Jewish country, enjoy the right to determine, what anti-Semitism is and what it is not," Koren said.
"People who live in Russia and on the European continent and not only there, have some barometer, which quite easily gives a definition, if the statement is addressed to certain people due to their ethnic identity, the 'fifth article', as it used to be in the Soviet Union," the ambassador said.
Before the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Holocaust, Israel has officially adopted the definition of anti-Semitism on the basis of the International Alliance of the Remembrance of the Holocaust Victims working definition: "Anti-Semitism is a specific idea about the Jews, which can be expressed in hatred towards them. Verbal and physical manifestations of anti-Semitism are directed against the Jews or the non-Jews and/or their property, Jewish community institutions and religious facilities."
The definition recognized that the expressions of anti-Semitism can also involve the attacks on the State of Israel, when it is presented as a Jewish collective (criticism of Israel similar to criticism of any other country's actions is not anti-Semitic).
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58