21 February 2017, 19:12
Georgian prosecutors, Church could probe arrested deacon jointly - Patriarch of Georgia
Tbilisi, February 21, Interfax - The arrest of a Georgian Deacon Giorgi Mamaladze has prompted social unrest, the case could be investigated jointly by prosecutors and the Church, Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia said.
"The history of the Georgian Church does not remember a case like this. It is not just a problem of the Church, it is a problem of the people and the state," he said at a meeting with Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili and Holy Synod members on Tuesday. The patriarch was quoted by the Georgian media.
The events in Georgia have already prompted interest abroad, the patriarch said. "So we must help, there has to be a joint inquiry by the state and the Church. The people need to be given answers, the people are worried," the catholicos-patriarch said.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday Mamaladze's lawyers said they wanted to meet with the patriarch.
The lawyers would like to meet with the patriarch to register their position, lawyer Mikheil Ramiashvili said.
Last week the Georgian Prosecutor General's Office announced the arrest of the head of the patriarchy's property management department at Tbilisi's airport on February 10 just as he was about to fly to Germany. Inside his personal luggage, law enforcement officers found the poisonous substance cyanide. The deacon was charged with an attempt to murder a top-hierarchy cleric.
Deacon Mamaladze strongly rejects the charges brought against him. His new lawyer Mikheil Ramishvili told reporters that the Prosecutor General's Office charged his client with the attempted murder of the patriarch's assistant Shorena Tetruashvili. The lawyer also said that the Prosecutor General's Office should prove that the cyanide discovered belonged to Mamaladze, because the deacon's luggage was brought to him for identification 6 hours and 40 minutes after his detention.
The situation involving Mamaladze caused a public debate between high-ranking clergymen, who accused each other of attempts to influence the patriarch, aged 84. Georgian politicians also got involved in the discord within the church, and some of them said that the dispute between high-ranking clergymen actually centers on the nomination of a candidate for the post of patriarch.
In his video address from the Berlin clinic last week, the patriarch called the situation with the detention of Deacon Mamaladze "strange" and "abnormal."
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34
- Putin's Epiphany dip shown in media because it took place in public with many believers present - Peskov 19 January 2018, 16:13
- Putin takes part in Orthodox Epiphany bathing in Tver Region monastery 19 January 2018, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52