13 March 2017, 10:13
Kyrgyz cemeteries to be divided into sectors for various religions groups
Osh, March 13, Interfax - The Kyrgyz State Commission for Religious Affairs (SCRA) has decided to divide the country's cemeteries into sectors depending on the religion of the deceased.
The decision was made in order "not to infringe on the rights of citizens who during their lifetime adhered to different religious views," the SCRA told Interfax.
"According to a study, 90% of the population, by ethnicity and religious views, profess Islam, therefore, a bigger part of a cemetery will be allocated for it, division into Islamic as well as other religions is envisaged," the SCRA representative said.
Cemeteries will be divided based on local community applications, the dividing itself will be marked either naturally - trees or bushes - or by artificial fences, he said.
Niyazaly Aripov, a theologian, told Interfax that such a decision was made because disputes over which religion the person being buried belonged to have been occurring more and more recently in Kyrgyzstan.
In late 2016 one woman was re-buried three times, because during her lifetime she became a Baptist, Aripov recalled. The woman was buried at a common cemetery but local residents dug her body up and demanded that her relatives collect it. The conflict was only resolved after law enforcement authorities stepped in. Eventually, the woman was buried in the mountains and the exact location of her grave is kept secret to prevent its desecration by locals.
At present, burials are performed at common cemeteries divided into nominal sectors.
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- Moscow authorities deny authorization to picket near Myanmar embassy 07 September 2017, 12:06
- First Turkish aid to Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims to be delivered Thursday - Turkish Red Crescent head 06 September 2017, 19:08
- Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years 05 September 2017, 18:17
- Putin against any violence in Myanmar, does not see Kadyrov's remarks as oppositional, asks everyone to calm down 05 September 2017, 10:41
- Russian, Egyptian presidents concerned about situation in Myanmar – Peskov 04 September 2017, 18:56
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslims to participate only in authorized actions following events in Myanmar 04 September 2017, 18:53
- Over 1 mln join Grozny rally in defense of Myanmar's Muslims – organizers 04 September 2017, 17:42
- Chechnya head ready to speak against Moscow's course if Russia supports Myanmar authorities 04 September 2017, 16:06
- Russian chief mufti calls on Muslims to pray for Russia's prosperity 01 September 2017, 12:58
- Over 200,000 Muslims attend Kurban Bayram prayer in Moscow 01 September 2017, 10:38