22 March 2017, 12:12
Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll
Moscow, March 22, Interfax - A quarter of Russians count national history from the time of Kievan Rus (26% vs. 19% in 2003), while 12% believe that Russia's history started with the Christianization of Kievan Rus, the Levada Center public opinion service told Interfax.
Another 7% maintain that the formation of Russian principalities marked the beginning of the country, 5% count national history from Peter the Great, and 3% use the October 1917 Revolution as the reference point.
Two percent each believe that Russia's history started with the formation of the Grand Duchy of Moscow, the collapse of the Soviet Union, the establishment of the sovereign Russian Federation in 1991, or the election of Vladimir Putin for president, and one percent of those polled believe the adoption of the Declaration of the Russian Federation's Sovereignty in 1990 was the event with which Russia began.
Some 36% opined that national history had been evolving "since time immemorial, since the beginning of time" when they were asked which date, epoch or event was at the outset of Russia's history.
Asked which periods of national history were of particular interest to them, some 38% of the respondents mentioned the 1941-1945 Great Patriotic War, 31% referred to the Peter the Great epoch (the 18th century), and 28% to Ancient Rus (the 8th to the 17th centuries).
The rest were interested in the late 19th century - early 20th century (18%), the Brezhnev epoch of the 1970s - 1980s (17%), and the 19th century (14%). Another 15% percent of the 1,600 respondents polled in 137 populated localities in 48 regions on March 2-6 said they did not care about any period of Russia's past.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26