24 March 2017, 09:30
Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll
Moscow, March 24, Interfax - Most Russians (68%) are against a monarchy in Russia, the All-Russia Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM) said.
Some one-fourth of the respondents are not against such type of Russian state administration: six percent are "for monarchy and can name the person suitable for the role of the sole ruler" and 22% "are generally not against monarchy, but do not see a person who could become a monarch."
At the same time, responding to a direct question about what form of governance is more suitable to the Russian state today, only eight percent named monarchy, in which power is inherited (11% in 2013), whereas 88% named a republic (against 82% previously).
The percentage of respondents who are tolerant of monarchy is the highest primarily among respondents aged 18-24 (33%) and 25-34 (35%), residents of Moscow and St. Petersburg (37%), active Internet users (33%), and supporters of parties not represented in the parliament (34%).
Supporters of the idea of restoring monarchy in Russia support their position by saying that they want to see one person in power (10%), that it is a traditional system for Russia (8%), more order (8%) and stability (5%).
The main arguments presented by opponents of the monarchy are adherence to democratic principles (16%) and a negative evaluation of the autocracy era in Russia (13%).
VTsIOM conducted nationwide phone polls surveying 1,200-1,800 respondents on March 16-18.
The debate on the possibility of monarchy being revived in Russia began in March after statements made by Sergey Aksyonov, the head of Crimea, on a television program.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14