31 March 2017, 18:32
Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia backs Chechen parliament's move to permit hijab wearing at schools
Moscow, March 31, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) backs the legislation passed by the legislature of Russia's Chechen republic that permits school children's dressing in accordance with their religious denomination and in particular, wearing hijabs at school.
"I oppose in principle every kind of ban on that which does not necessarily have to be banned. I think it is absolutely abnormal to ban hijabs, cross pendants, or kippahs, for this is a gross interference with the citizen's system of thought. Therefore, in this story I'd sooner back the decision of the Chechen parliament than any legislative initiatives on banning certain dress codes," Boruch Gorin, head of the FJCR public relations department, told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
In his view, an individual region or even a particular settlement "has the right to adopt certain codes of conduct in accordance with local customs and traditions, and this is right".
"We are in a federal state, and a region has the grounds and the right to enact certain rules in accordance with their own traditions," Gorin said.
It was reported earlier that the aforesaid legislation included a legal rule that, when establishing any rules regarding dress codes, educational institutions must respect the right of their students to wear clothes and symbols in accordance with popular traditions and religious beliefs, unless this is against Russia's federal laws or is harmful to their health or infringes upon other people's rights and freedoms.
Russian presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov said earlier that the Kremlin had not yet formulated its position on the legislation passed by the Chechen parliament. It has yet to be understood whether to address this issue on the federal level or whether there is an element of jurisdiction of regional authorities in determining such policies, Peskov said.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28