10 April 2017, 18:18
Russian society is more tolerant than Western, but 'there is no limit to perfection' - Volodin
Moscow, April 10, Interfax - Russian State Duma Speaker Vyacheslav Volodin said he believes Russian society is largely more tolerant than Western society, but it is necessary to continue improvements and strengthen unity between different ethnicities and religious denominations.
"There is no limit to perfection, and therefore it is probably wrong to say that we have reached this optimal state because one should always aspire to become more tolerant, it's not a rigid matter," Volodin told reporters, responding to a question about how tolerant he considers Russian society to be in comparison with Western society.
"We should improve in this regard, definitely," he said while visiting the Jewish Museum and the Tolerance Center in Moscow together with his deputy Pyotr Tolstoy.
As to the other countries, everything is learned through comparison, he said. "Today we see that we have objectively fewer such problems than they have," he said
Russia's Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar, who conducted the excursion for Volodin along with Alexander Boroda, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR), called Russia "unique" from the point of view of relations between religions. "There is almost no [place] in the world where religious leaders live so peacefully and are so united," the spiritual leader said.
Speaking about the significance of tolerance in general, Volodin said this quality has always been important. "If you look at the museum displays, you will see that conflicts occurred in society when it violated basic principles of tolerance, the relations between various ethnicities and religions," he said.
"There are things to look at" in the Tolerance Center, "things to learn and draw conclusions to prevent some things from occurring again in our history," he said. "And we, especially in this year, the year of the anniversary of [the] 1917 [revolution], should again re-think this to prevent such things from occurring again," he said.
The Tolerance Center is already preparing programs for teachers in the sphere of teaching tolerance under an agreement with the Education Ministry "because this experience is interesting to everyone."
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28