18 April 2017, 18:24
Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - Novaya Gazeta will file reports with the Russian Investigative Committee by the end of the week on inaction of law enforcement agencies and the need to investigate its findings on the condition of sexual minorities in the Chechen Republic, the newspaper's spokesperson Nadezhda Prusenkova told Interfax on Tuesday.
Novaya Gazeta still has not received a response to the relevant report filed with the prosecutor's office, Prusenkova said.
"First reports on the inaction of law enforcement authorities and the need to investigate the facts set out by our newspaper will be sent to the Russian Investigative Committee by the end of the week," Prusenkova said.
Such reports have still not been filed due to concerns about security of the people who suffered harassment and their relatives, she said.
The newspaper has obtained the names of the deceased members of the LGBT community and all those who suffered harassment, Prusenkova said. "We will also disclose their names to investigative authorities once they are in safety," she said.
She confirmed that Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova contacted a Novaya Gazeta journalist to obtain information on this matter.
"An official report will be also filed with the human rights commissioner simultaneously with the relevant reports to the Russian Investigative Committee," she said.
Novaya Gazeta earlier published an article claiming that about 100 people suspected of homosexuality had been apprehended in the Chechen Republic and at least three people were killed.
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev 22 November 2017, 13:50
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11