20 April 2017, 18:25
Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll
Moscow, April 20, Interfax - More than half of Russians (58%) believe that Vladimir Lenin's body should be buried: 32% propose a site beneath the Kremlin wall and 26% the Volkovskoye cemetery in St. Petersburg as the preferred burial place, the Levada Center public opinion study institution told Interfax.
About one-third (31%) are sure that Lenin's remains should be kept where they are, in the Mausoleum. A tenth of (11%) respondents was undecided. The poll was conducted from March 31 - April 3 among 1,600 residents in 137 populated localities in 48 Russian regions.
However, 79% of Russian are against demolition of any monuments to Lenin and only 14% agree that they should be pulled down. The remaining 8% were undecided.
When asked to assess the role played by the personality of Lenin in the country's history, 26% of Russians expressed the view that the memory of the leader will be preserved but no one will ever again follow the same path. Another 23% agreed that Lenin had put the country on the path towards progress and equity, while 21% said that his ideas were distorted by followers. A fifth (19%) of respondents was certain that Lenin "tried to build on the best thoughts and hopes of people, aiming to lead them to a bright future", the Levada Center said.
However, 15% said they believe that Lenin led the country down the wrong path, causing a lot of trouble and suffering, while 11% said that Lenin was wrong in his expectations regarding the revolution and communism.
In all, the share of Russians highlighting Lenin's positive contribution to the country's history grew from 40% in 2006 to 56% now. The opposing stance is held by 22% of respondents now compared to 36% in 2006. The remaining 23% were undecided.
The poll suggests that 35% of Russians believe that nobody save for historians will remember Lenin in 40-50 years. A fourth (25%) believe that in the future, Lenin will be remembered as the founder of the Soviet state and a fifth (20%) said Lenin would be remembered as a leader for whom the interest of workers were a top priority. Every seventh respondent (12%) believes Lenin will be remembered as a great thinker who managed to foresee the future.
On April 22, 2017, people will celebrate Lenin's 147th birthday.
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodox Church - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47
- An exhibition on how world powers rejected to accept Jews before World War II opens in Moscow 04 June 2018, 10:29
- Former Orthodox priest who joined schismatics turned out to be journalist Babchenko's "murderer" 01 June 2018, 14:34
- Serbian patriarch is listed in the Peacemaker base as an enemy of Ukraine 01 June 2018, 14:13
- Sixty thousand appeals handed over to the Patriarch of Constantinople from the faithful of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 31 May 2018, 17:20
- Dionysius icon Crucifixion to leave Russia for first time, be taken to Rome 31 May 2018, 17:01
- Pope Francis says supports unity of Russian Orthodox Church 31 May 2018, 14:42