20 April 2017, 18:25
Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll
Moscow, April 20, Interfax - More than half of Russians (58%) believe that Vladimir Lenin's body should be buried: 32% propose a site beneath the Kremlin wall and 26% the Volkovskoye cemetery in St. Petersburg as the preferred burial place, the Levada Center public opinion study institution told Interfax.
About one-third (31%) are sure that Lenin's remains should be kept where they are, in the Mausoleum. A tenth of (11%) respondents was undecided. The poll was conducted from March 31 - April 3 among 1,600 residents in 137 populated localities in 48 Russian regions.
However, 79% of Russian are against demolition of any monuments to Lenin and only 14% agree that they should be pulled down. The remaining 8% were undecided.
When asked to assess the role played by the personality of Lenin in the country's history, 26% of Russians expressed the view that the memory of the leader will be preserved but no one will ever again follow the same path. Another 23% agreed that Lenin had put the country on the path towards progress and equity, while 21% said that his ideas were distorted by followers. A fifth (19%) of respondents was certain that Lenin "tried to build on the best thoughts and hopes of people, aiming to lead them to a bright future", the Levada Center said.
However, 15% said they believe that Lenin led the country down the wrong path, causing a lot of trouble and suffering, while 11% said that Lenin was wrong in his expectations regarding the revolution and communism.
In all, the share of Russians highlighting Lenin's positive contribution to the country's history grew from 40% in 2006 to 56% now. The opposing stance is held by 22% of respondents now compared to 36% in 2006. The remaining 23% were undecided.
The poll suggests that 35% of Russians believe that nobody save for historians will remember Lenin in 40-50 years. A fourth (25%) believe that in the future, Lenin will be remembered as the founder of the Soviet state and a fifth (20%) said Lenin would be remembered as a leader for whom the interest of workers were a top priority. Every seventh respondent (12%) believes Lenin will be remembered as a great thinker who managed to foresee the future.
On April 22, 2017, people will celebrate Lenin's 147th birthday.
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41
- Twelve held in south Kazakhstan for extremism propaganda on social media 01 February 2018, 10:49
- Attempts to deny Holocaust, belittle USSR's role in victory over Nazis must be foiled - Putin 29 January 2018, 18:12
- Russian Jews call on Poland to allow Russia's participation in building Sobibor memorial 26 January 2018, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill alarmed by spread of cryptocurrencies 25 January 2018, 17:19
- Cooperation with secular universities makes Islamic education 'fundamental' - Putin 25 January 2018, 17:04
- Russia without future if it follows Europe's example in issues of religion - Deputy Speaker Tolstoy 25 January 2018, 17:00
- Priest Grozovsky's lawyers file appeal in child abuse case 25 January 2018, 15:35
- Govt to continue supporting Islamic education – Putin 25 January 2018, 11:23
- Putin stresses importance of development of Russian Islamic theological school 25 January 2018, 11:22
- Patriarch Kirill says many people in the West lay their hopes on Putin 24 January 2018, 17:50
- UN, OSCE, EU should react to harassment of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Lavrov 24 January 2018, 17:29
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34