21 April 2017, 13:02
Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue
Moscow, April 21, Interfax - State Duma Chairman Vyacheslav Volodin has urged United Russia deputies to rely on the opinion of the United Russia party's founder in the lawmaking process and to avoid radical moves in their legislative initiatives.
Volodin responded to a speech by Russian Communist Party Deputy Chairman and State Duma deputy Dmitry Novikov, who addressed the house on Friday to highlight the bill providing legal mechanisms of Vladimir Lenin's reburial. The bill submitted to parliament on Thursday was authored by Liberal Democratic Party deputies; three United Russia deputies chose to support the bill at first but later withdrew their signatures.
"As you can see, the deputies who at first felt enthusiastic about the initiative you are now criticizing have withdrawn their signatures," Volodin told Novikov.
The United Russia deputies withdrew their signatures because they realized that "it was wrong and should not be done," he said.
"There is also the viewpoint of United Russia's moral leader [Russian President Vladimir Putin] who has said once and again [that society needed a consensus on the matter]," Volodin said.
Therefore, "one should rely on the opinion of the man who created this party," he said.
This is the way to avoid radical moves, such as proposals to "take away and tear down," he said.
Volodin told his colleagues they should understand that Russia had existed for centuries, for more than a millennium, and that its history could not be divided into the period before the 1917 Revolution and the period after it.
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev 22 November 2017, 13:50
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11