25 April 2017, 10:00
Public prosecutor seeks 3.5 years in prison to Moscow mosque imam charged with terrorism justification
Moscow, April 25, Interfax - The public prosecutor seeks to find imam of the Moscow mosque Yardyam Mahmoud Velitov guilty of public justification of terrorism and sentence him to three years and six months in a general-security penal colony, an Interfax correspondent reported.
The prosecution service also asked the court to deprive Velitov of the right to engage in religious activity.
"Velitov has justified terrorist activity of member of the prohibited party Abdullah Gappayev. He received an email message that Gappayev is killed, and he has found the data about him in the Internet and decided that Gappayev is worth mentioning in the prayer," public prosecutor Yekaterina Rozanova said.
The imam wanted "to show Gappayev as a person deserving admiration," she said
The prosecutor cited the testimony given by several witnesses, who said that they had been indignant with Velitov's praising words regarding Gappayev, and cited expert examinations.
Velitov is charged with publicly justifying terrorism. The maximum penalty under this article is five years in prison. The imam pleaded not guilty.
Investigators believe that on September 23, 2013, during prayers at the mosque located on Khachaturyan Street, Velitov, who holds the posts of the Council's chairman and the imam of the religious organization, delivered a speech justifying the activity of one of the members of the terrorist organization Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami [banned in Russia].
- Only one Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitan planned to attend unification assembly, but decided not do so 21 November 2018, 10:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishops are being pressured into attending "unification gathering" 20 November 2018, 19:18
- Putin calls Patriarch Kirill to wish him happy birthday 20 November 2018, 18:36
- Church unification assembly may be held in early Dec - Parubiy 19 November 2018, 13:10
- Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate to decide on date of church unification assembly in Ukraine 19 November 2018, 12:20
- Donbass people affected by war get 15 mln euro aid from Pope 19 November 2018, 12:02
- "Kiev Patriarchate" denies rumors unification assembly set for Nov 22 19 November 2018, 11:59
- Polish Orthodox Church bans all contacts with Ukrainian schismatics 19 November 2018, 11:55
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25