08 May 2017, 15:52
Russia's Jewish community delegation carries out 'March of Life' at former concentration camp Oswiecim in Poland
Moscow, May 8, Interfax - The 'March of Life' action was held at a memorial in the Auschwitz-Birkenau (Oswiecim) concentration camp in Poland ahead of Victory Day in the Great Patriotic War.
"During the action a delegation of young people from the Jewish community in Russia, which numbers nearly 1,000 people from 45 cities in the country, visited the former Nazi concentration camp in memory about the tragedy of the Jewish people in the years of the Second World War and as a sign of gratitude for a feat of the Red Army, which has liberated Europe and dozens of thousands of inmates in the concentration camps and has saved hundreds of thousands of Jews in Hungary and other European countries," the European Jewish Congress press service told Interfax.
The Chief Rabbinate of Russia has organized the 'March of Life' action, which was held with the assistance of the European Jewish Congress (EJC), Rabbi Berel Lazar and Federation of Russian Jewish Communities President Alexander Boroda.
"Staying here today, we are even more feeling our duty not only to honor the memory of six million innocent victims, but also not to forget that this is the Red Army, which has liberated Auschwitz-Birkenau and has made the largest contribution in the liberation of the death camps and the stopping of mass extermination of people in dozens of European countries," the press service quoted EJC President Vyacheslav Moshe Kantor as saying in his speech to the audience.
"Our duty is not to forget the feat of those, who, not sparing their lives, saved our people," he said.
Even in the current epoch of broad access to information about historical facts, at the same time, young people should learn moral and ethical values.
"The knowledge about the events of the past should be correctly taken. Then the historical memory will be passed from one generation to another that will help prevent new catastrophes," Kantor said.
The delegation of the EJC and Jewish organizations in Russia has lit candles in memory of the prisoners and soldiers-liberators during the action.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28