08 May 2017, 15:55
Georgian priest accused of murder attempt goes on trial in Tbilisi
Tbilisi, May 8, Interfax - The Tbilisi City Court on Friday began proceedings against archpriest Giorgi Mamaladze accused of trying to kill the Patriarch's Secretary Shorena Tetruashvili.
Father Giorgi was held at Tbilisi's international airport on February 10 this year. He was about to fly out to Berlin where Patriarch Ilia II was undergoing medical treatment at the time. His secretary Tetruashvili was also with him there.
Law enforcement officers searched Mamaladze's luggage and found cyanide. Prosecution officials told journalists that Mamaladze was detained after one his relatives, Irakli Mamaladze, had sent prosecutors a video recording of Mamaladze intending to poison Tetruashvili, who in his view had total control of affairs in the patriarchy and stood in the way of his career growth.
All charges are baseless, Mamaladze's lawyers told journalists. "We demand closure of the criminal case against Giorgi Mamaladze and his full acquittal," his lawyer Mikheil Ramishvili told journalists.
The prosecutor's petition for the trial to be held behind closed doors is totally unsubstantiated, Ramishvili said.
Meanwhile, Prosecutor Jarji Tsiklauri told journalists that investigators had irrefutable evidence of Mamaladze's guilt. "As well as the video recording, we have incriminating evidence obtained from Mamaladze's personal telephone. We are certain that Mamaladze's guilt will be proved in the court," Tsiklauri said.
On Friday the court was to set a trial date and consider petitions from the defense lawyer and the prosecutor. Mamaladze earlier pleaded not guilty to all charges.
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Tajik authorities see no need for religious party in country 12 September 2018, 16:26
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31
- Washington pledges support for Kiev in struggle for right to have united autocephalous Orthodox church 12 September 2018, 09:53
- Patriarch Bartholomew's position on Ukrainian Church motivated by politics rather than religion - Russian Imperial Family head 11 September 2018, 17:05
- Jerusalem patriarch expresses solidarity with the head of the canonical UOC 11 September 2018, 14:20
- Putin urges to follow the example of the chief rabbi of Russia - father of 14 children 11 September 2018, 13:05