12 May 2017, 10:18
Yekaterinburg "Pokemon catcher" promises to keep quiet, put gained publicity to good use
Yekaterinburg, May 12, Interfax - The blogger Ruslan Sokolovsky, who was found guilty and given a suspended sentence for offending the religious feelings, thanked bloggers and journalists for support.
"A big thank you to everyone who came to the proceedings, for your support. I believe it is thanks to this trial being open that it did not result in as harsh a punishment as it might have been. (...) I am very content that I am free. I got the chance not to be languishing in damp prison and dying from tuberculosis, but to do something useful and interesting," Sokolovsky told journalists.
He said he had not hoped for the acquittal. "My judge had not handed down a single non-guilty verdict in her entire career," the blogger said.
He noted that he acquired big media publicity and will try to put it to good use.
"I will be very calm and quiet lest I be locked up for real," Sokolovsky said.
First thing he is going to do is to see his girlfriend, talk to his mother and solve the housing problem, he said.
"All these events have ruined me, I've lost all my money," the blogger said.
He also said that he wanted to study for a degree but has yet to decide in what area. "Maybe I will study journalism," Sokolovsky said.
It was reported that on Thursday the Verkh-Isetsky District Court of Yekaterinburg had given Sokolovsky a suspended sentence of three and a half years with a three-year probation period.
The state prosecutor asked for a three-year sentence at a medium-security facility. The defense lawyer asked to acquit the blogger.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26