15 May 2017, 12:08
Moscow Patriarchate is optimistic about the prospects of Russian-American dialogue
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church is optimistic about the progress of the dialogue between Russia and the United States on key international issues.
"I saw that American leaders wanted to cooperate with Russia, to settle accumulated problems," head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said in his interview with Interfax-Religion on his return from Washington.
During the visit the metropolitan participated in the World Summit of Christian Leaders in Defense of Persecuted Christians, met with US Vice President Michael Pence and the country's influential religious figures. Metropolitan Hilarion is going to report the details to Patriarch Kirill and "if he considers it necessary he will convey this information to Russian leaders".
According to the hierarch, aggravated confrontation between our countries did not influence the atmosphere of his Washington talks.
"Today Christians of Russia and America can play an important role in political settlement. Communicating to American Christians I saw that many of them ardently sympathizes with Russia, its president, I saw their desire to pray for the success of the meeting between the presidents of Russia and the USA," the metropolitan said.
Noting that many Russian Christians sympathizes with the acting American president, the head of the Synodal Department said that Donald Trump "is in a very difficult situation: significant part of the country's political establishment is in deaf or open opposition to his course," while basic mass media including CNN "carry out targeted propagandistic campaign against him, which plays the Russian card as well."
"We hope that he will stick to his electoral promises and will spare no effort to establish a dialogue with Russia. Such a dialogue will bring nothing, but good," the metropolitan believes.
According to him, a common denominator that could help Russia and the USA to agree on the most acute issues of the international agenda is the struggle against international terrorism.
Metropolitan Hilarion reminded Patriarch Kirill's words that there was the only way to eliminate terrorism: it was the way of coordinated efforts of all states ready to oppose terrorism not in words, but in practice.
"We need one consolidated coalition instead of several anti-terror coalitions involved in mutual confrontations," the metropolitan stressed and expressed hope that "the USA and Russia will find the way to set aside political confrontations and unite in order to win a victory over international terrorism as they once united to win over the German fascism."
See more under the Exclusive heading.
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13