16 May 2017, 10:01
Holy relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker brought from Italy expected to be placed in Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Pete
Moscow, May 16, Interfax - The holy relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, which will be brought from Italy for the first time in history, will be displayed for worship at the Alexander Nevsky Lavra during their stay in St. Petersburg.
"The holy relics of St. Nicholas will be housed at the Alexander Nevsky Lavra throughout their entire stay in St. Petersburg," Natalya Rodomanova, the head of the communications center of the St. Petersburg Metropolia, told Interfax-Religion.
St. Isaac's Cathedral is not under consideration as a possible place of display, she said.
According to earlier reports, a part of the holy relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker, which are located in the papal basilica in Bari, Italy, will be brought to Moscow and St. Petersburg for the first time in 930 years in the period between May 21 and July 28.
A relevant agreement was reached following the historical meeting between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis on February 12, 2016. It is a unique event because the holy relics have never left Bari for the entire period of their stay there.
The holiday service in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior on May 21, where the holy relics will be brought, will be led by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
In the period between May 22 and July 12, the holy relics will be accessible to pilgrims in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The holy relics will be in St. Petersburg in the period between July 13 and July 28.
St. Nicholas is among the most honored saints in the Roman Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church and in the entire Christian world. Hundreds of believers of the Moscow patriarchate come to Bari to worship the holy relics every year.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26