16 May 2017, 18:52
Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee
Moscow, May 16, Interfax - Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova has submitted information provided by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper containing personal details of the LGBT community members reportedly harrassed in the Chechen Republic to the Russian Investigative Committee.
"I have received another request from Novaya Gazeta containing specific names and surnames and forwarded it to Investigative Committee Chairman Alexander Ivanovich Bastrykin for consideration," Moskalkova told reporters on Tuesday.
Moskalkova said the one-month period to consider her request has not yet expired. "It is vitally important to address this issue in terms of protection of the people who dared to say that they are ready to seek justice," she said.
"I'm willing to receive anyone seeking protection and an official inquiry and help to institute state protection and confidentiality measures for those people," Moskalkova said.
Novaya Gazeta's information concerns people whose whereabouts are unknown and they are presumed murdered, she said.
The matter is not about sexual orientation of those people, but that "no one in any conditions can be subject to violence, humiliation, and, all the more so, death," she said.
"It would be valid if the central federal body also received reports," she said.
Moskalkova said earlier during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that she was looking into the issue of gays who had reported violation of their rights to her.
The president promised Moskalkova that he would talk with the prosecutor general and the interior minister about the situation surrounding "people of non-traditional sexual orientation" in the North Caucasus.
Meeting with Putin on April 19, head of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov denied reports on detentions and murders of civilians in the republic. He said later the Chechen leadership and law enforcement authorities were ready to cooperate with the federal authorities in verifying the reports on the situation involving sexual minorities in the republic. "This phenomenon is uncharacteristic of the Chechen people," Kadyrov said.
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodox Church - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47
- An exhibition on how world powers rejected to accept Jews before World War II opens in Moscow 04 June 2018, 10:29
- Former Orthodox priest who joined schismatics turned out to be journalist Babchenko's "murderer" 01 June 2018, 14:34
- Serbian patriarch is listed in the Peacemaker base as an enemy of Ukraine 01 June 2018, 14:13
- Sixty thousand appeals handed over to the Patriarch of Constantinople from the faithful of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 31 May 2018, 17:20
- Dionysius icon Crucifixion to leave Russia for first time, be taken to Rome 31 May 2018, 17:01
- Pope Francis says supports unity of Russian Orthodox Church 31 May 2018, 14:42