16 May 2017, 18:52
Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee
Moscow, May 16, Interfax - Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova has submitted information provided by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper containing personal details of the LGBT community members reportedly harrassed in the Chechen Republic to the Russian Investigative Committee.
"I have received another request from Novaya Gazeta containing specific names and surnames and forwarded it to Investigative Committee Chairman Alexander Ivanovich Bastrykin for consideration," Moskalkova told reporters on Tuesday.
Moskalkova said the one-month period to consider her request has not yet expired. "It is vitally important to address this issue in terms of protection of the people who dared to say that they are ready to seek justice," she said.
"I'm willing to receive anyone seeking protection and an official inquiry and help to institute state protection and confidentiality measures for those people," Moskalkova said.
Novaya Gazeta's information concerns people whose whereabouts are unknown and they are presumed murdered, she said.
The matter is not about sexual orientation of those people, but that "no one in any conditions can be subject to violence, humiliation, and, all the more so, death," she said.
"It would be valid if the central federal body also received reports," she said.
Moskalkova said earlier during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that she was looking into the issue of gays who had reported violation of their rights to her.
The president promised Moskalkova that he would talk with the prosecutor general and the interior minister about the situation surrounding "people of non-traditional sexual orientation" in the North Caucasus.
Meeting with Putin on April 19, head of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov denied reports on detentions and murders of civilians in the republic. He said later the Chechen leadership and law enforcement authorities were ready to cooperate with the federal authorities in verifying the reports on the situation involving sexual minorities in the republic. "This phenomenon is uncharacteristic of the Chechen people," Kadyrov said.
- Israeli ambassador to Russia hopes Moscow to support security measures on Jerusalem's Temple Mount 26 July 2017, 18:19
- Russia could assume role in resolving conflict around Temple Mount in Jerusalem - Palestinian ambassador 26 July 2017, 17:12
- Israel commits to preserve full access to holy places in Jerusalem - ambassador to Russia 26 July 2017, 17:07
- FJCR convinced that scandal surrounding Temple Mount is anti-Semites' work 25 July 2017, 18:38
- Almost 80% of Russians approve of Jehovah's Witnesses ban in country – poll 25 July 2017, 10:00
- A total of 182,000 believers go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in St. Pete over past week 20 July 2017, 18:03
- LGBT problem doesn't exist in Chechnya - Russian envoy to OSCE 20 July 2017, 10:05
- Washington urges Russia to lift ban on Jehovah's Witnesses' activities 20 July 2017, 10:00
- Kazakhstan not planning to ban Jehovah's Witnesses - minister 19 July 2017, 17:35
- The Ecumenical Patriarch called the Donbass conflict a "fratricidal war" and prayed for peace in Ukraine 19 July 2017, 13:32
- Jehovah's Witnesses intent to appeal with ECHR against ruling to abolish organization – lawyer 18 July 2017, 10:04
- Russian Supreme Court refuses to invalidate ban imposed on Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 18 July 2017, 10:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes prolongation of sanctions not harmful for Russia 17 July 2017, 12:30
- Metropolitan Hilarion is sure that Putin's meeting with Trump will help save lives in the Middle East 17 July 2017, 10:53
- Imams to combat TB in Kyrgyzstan 17 July 2017, 10:37
- Genetic engineering has right to existence if it can help treat people, professor-deacon believes 14 July 2017, 13:17
- Not a single instance of harassment against gays reported in Chechnya – Lavrov 13 July 2017, 18:03
- Investigative Committee fully rules out religious motive in Nemtsov murder case, only motive is financial gain 13 July 2017, 13:18
- Relics of St. Nicholas come to Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Petersburg 13 July 2017, 13:14
- Peskov denies report of Putin presenting yacht to Valaam monks 12 July 2017, 17:01
- Over 1.75 million people go on pilgrimage to St. Nicholas relics in Moscow 12 July 2017, 13:48
- Atambayev calls on people of Kyrgyzstan to focus on education instead of religion 12 July 2017, 11:44
- Italian marquise conveyed a particle of St. Catherine relics to the Yekaterinburg Diocese 11 July 2017, 10:25
- LGBT issues are raised in Western organizations only for purpose of condemning Russia or other countries – Slutsky 10 July 2017, 17:15
- Expert confirm authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' in meeting with patriarch in June - Romanov Family Association 10 July 2017, 16:57
- Sverdlovsk Region Court mitigates sentence for 'Pokemon catcher' 07 July 2017, 13:10
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies calling for restoration of monarchy 07 July 2017, 10:25
- One and a half million people go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in Moscow 06 July 2017, 18:01
- Investigative Committee has not registered persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya yet – Moskalkova 06 July 2017, 15:10
- Four suspected religious extremists detained in Kyrgyzstan 06 July 2017, 10:28