16 May 2017, 18:52
Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee
Moscow, May 16, Interfax - Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova has submitted information provided by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper containing personal details of the LGBT community members reportedly harrassed in the Chechen Republic to the Russian Investigative Committee.
"I have received another request from Novaya Gazeta containing specific names and surnames and forwarded it to Investigative Committee Chairman Alexander Ivanovich Bastrykin for consideration," Moskalkova told reporters on Tuesday.
Moskalkova said the one-month period to consider her request has not yet expired. "It is vitally important to address this issue in terms of protection of the people who dared to say that they are ready to seek justice," she said.
"I'm willing to receive anyone seeking protection and an official inquiry and help to institute state protection and confidentiality measures for those people," Moskalkova said.
Novaya Gazeta's information concerns people whose whereabouts are unknown and they are presumed murdered, she said.
The matter is not about sexual orientation of those people, but that "no one in any conditions can be subject to violence, humiliation, and, all the more so, death," she said.
"It would be valid if the central federal body also received reports," she said.
Moskalkova said earlier during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that she was looking into the issue of gays who had reported violation of their rights to her.
The president promised Moskalkova that he would talk with the prosecutor general and the interior minister about the situation surrounding "people of non-traditional sexual orientation" in the North Caucasus.
Meeting with Putin on April 19, head of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov denied reports on detentions and murders of civilians in the republic. He said later the Chechen leadership and law enforcement authorities were ready to cooperate with the federal authorities in verifying the reports on the situation involving sexual minorities in the republic. "This phenomenon is uncharacteristic of the Chechen people," Kadyrov said.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26