17 May 2017, 18:22
Patriarch Kirill calls for prevention of adoption in Ukraine of laws aimed against Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia called on the heads of state of the "Normandy four" countries, the Orthodox Churches, Pope Francis, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to prevent the planned adoption by the Verkhovnaya Rada of Ukraine of two laws that are regarded by the Russian Orthodox Church as discriminatory.
"The messages state that, if these drafts are adopted, discriminatory legal practice on a majority of the Orthodox population of Ukraine unprecedented for today's Europe will be legalized. Such restrictive religious legislation was not effective in Ukraine even in the period of the Communist regime, and in the remaining territory of Europe something like that only existed under Nazi rule in Germany," the Russian Orthodox Church said on its website on Wednesday.
There are two bills.
Bill №4511 gives special status to religious organizations "whose administrative centers are located in a state recognized by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state." The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has repeatedly said it sees this document as discriminatory and jeopardizing its communities on the territory of Ukraine.
Bill №4128 gives people belonging to a church community the right to change its charter by voting by simple majority, which the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will lead to the legalization of raiding takeovers of its churches and their transfer to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
The patriarch said these bills contradict the Ukrainian Constitution and current legislation, adding that they have been opposed, specifically, by the main scientific and expert directorate of the Verkhovnaya Rada, its committee on corruption prevention, and representatives of various religious organizations.
The patriarch said the adoption of these laws "jeopardizes the constitutional rights of millions of Ukrainian believers and is capable of causing a wave of violence and new takeovers of churches and aggravating the civil conflict in Ukraine, putting it into the realm of religion." According to the available information, right-wing radical elements took over 40 churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on the territory of Ukraine in 2014-2016. The formal grounds for such takeovers are so-called referenda conducted by residents of villages who decide on the 'transition' of their communities. The opinion of valid founders and members of the community as a legal entity is not taken into account in such situations," he said.
In closing, he called on the addressees to make every effort to prevent the adoption of these bills, which "may become a glaring example of the trampling on the human rights to freedom of religion."
- About 1 billion rubles were collected for building the main church of Russian Military Forces 21 September 2018, 18:29
- Serbian Orthodox Church opposes Constantinople's claim to determine Ukrainian Church's future 21 September 2018, 16:57
- Moscow lacks at least 20 synagogues 21 September 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Onufry is Ukraine's sole canonical Orthodox leader - Jerusalem Church's exarch 20 September 2018, 18:45
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08