17 May 2017, 18:22
Patriarch Kirill calls for prevention of adoption in Ukraine of laws aimed against Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia called on the heads of state of the "Normandy four" countries, the Orthodox Churches, Pope Francis, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to prevent the planned adoption by the Verkhovnaya Rada of Ukraine of two laws that are regarded by the Russian Orthodox Church as discriminatory.
"The messages state that, if these drafts are adopted, discriminatory legal practice on a majority of the Orthodox population of Ukraine unprecedented for today's Europe will be legalized. Such restrictive religious legislation was not effective in Ukraine even in the period of the Communist regime, and in the remaining territory of Europe something like that only existed under Nazi rule in Germany," the Russian Orthodox Church said on its website on Wednesday.
There are two bills.
Bill №4511 gives special status to religious organizations "whose administrative centers are located in a state recognized by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state." The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has repeatedly said it sees this document as discriminatory and jeopardizing its communities on the territory of Ukraine.
Bill №4128 gives people belonging to a church community the right to change its charter by voting by simple majority, which the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will lead to the legalization of raiding takeovers of its churches and their transfer to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
The patriarch said these bills contradict the Ukrainian Constitution and current legislation, adding that they have been opposed, specifically, by the main scientific and expert directorate of the Verkhovnaya Rada, its committee on corruption prevention, and representatives of various religious organizations.
The patriarch said the adoption of these laws "jeopardizes the constitutional rights of millions of Ukrainian believers and is capable of causing a wave of violence and new takeovers of churches and aggravating the civil conflict in Ukraine, putting it into the realm of religion." According to the available information, right-wing radical elements took over 40 churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on the territory of Ukraine in 2014-2016. The formal grounds for such takeovers are so-called referenda conducted by residents of villages who decide on the 'transition' of their communities. The opinion of valid founders and members of the community as a legal entity is not taken into account in such situations," he said.
In closing, he called on the addressees to make every effort to prevent the adoption of these bills, which "may become a glaring example of the trampling on the human rights to freedom of religion."
- The Museum of Ball opened in Sochi is decorated with frescoes painted by church artists 20 June 2018, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of UN Secretary-General to harmful for humanity consequences of giving up traditional morals 20 June 2018, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill urges UN Secretary-General to help Middle Eastern Christians return home 20 June 2018, 16:51
- Polygamy banned in Turkmenistan 19 June 2018, 17:01
- Foundation stone to the Church of Holy Doctor the Passion-Bearer Eugeny Botkin laid in the Urals 19 June 2018, 13:33
- Helicopter with the Icon of the Mother of God flew over all WC-2018 objects in Saransk 19 June 2018, 13:06
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodoxy - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47