17 May 2017, 18:22
Patriarch Kirill calls for prevention of adoption in Ukraine of laws aimed against Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia called on the heads of state of the "Normandy four" countries, the Orthodox Churches, Pope Francis, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to prevent the planned adoption by the Verkhovnaya Rada of Ukraine of two laws that are regarded by the Russian Orthodox Church as discriminatory.
"The messages state that, if these drafts are adopted, discriminatory legal practice on a majority of the Orthodox population of Ukraine unprecedented for today's Europe will be legalized. Such restrictive religious legislation was not effective in Ukraine even in the period of the Communist regime, and in the remaining territory of Europe something like that only existed under Nazi rule in Germany," the Russian Orthodox Church said on its website on Wednesday.
There are two bills.
Bill №4511 gives special status to religious organizations "whose administrative centers are located in a state recognized by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state." The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has repeatedly said it sees this document as discriminatory and jeopardizing its communities on the territory of Ukraine.
Bill №4128 gives people belonging to a church community the right to change its charter by voting by simple majority, which the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will lead to the legalization of raiding takeovers of its churches and their transfer to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
The patriarch said these bills contradict the Ukrainian Constitution and current legislation, adding that they have been opposed, specifically, by the main scientific and expert directorate of the Verkhovnaya Rada, its committee on corruption prevention, and representatives of various religious organizations.
The patriarch said the adoption of these laws "jeopardizes the constitutional rights of millions of Ukrainian believers and is capable of causing a wave of violence and new takeovers of churches and aggravating the civil conflict in Ukraine, putting it into the realm of religion." According to the available information, right-wing radical elements took over 40 churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on the territory of Ukraine in 2014-2016. The formal grounds for such takeovers are so-called referenda conducted by residents of villages who decide on the 'transition' of their communities. The opinion of valid founders and members of the community as a legal entity is not taken into account in such situations," he said.
In closing, he called on the addressees to make every effort to prevent the adoption of these bills, which "may become a glaring example of the trampling on the human rights to freedom of religion."
- Half of Russians in favor of helping France restore Notre Dame de Paris - poll 23 April 2019, 14:51
- Patriarch Kirill: Zelensky given historic chance to unite people of Ukraine (updated) 23 April 2019, 13:38
- Law on renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church still in effect despite court ruling - Rada speaker 23 April 2019, 12:55
- Rehabilitating Bandera's supporters may end in Ukraine under Zelensky - Russian Jewish community leader 22 April 2019, 21:16
- Russian Jewish Congress to rebuild yeshiva in wake of arson during Passover 22 April 2019, 19:32
- Court in Kiev puts renaming of UOC on holdCourt in Kiev puts renaming of UOC on hold 22 April 2019, 18:12
- Zelensky victory will reduce nationalism in Ukraine - Russian Jews 22 April 2019, 16:47
- UOC on Poroshenko election failure: God treats authorities the way authorities treat the Church 22 April 2019, 16:45
- Head of UOC blesses Zelensky to serve Ukraine 22 April 2019, 12:45
- Georgian presidential administration chief Zhvania quits 22 April 2019, 10:45
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47