17 May 2017, 18:22
Patriarch Kirill calls for prevention of adoption in Ukraine of laws aimed against Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia called on the heads of state of the "Normandy four" countries, the Orthodox Churches, Pope Francis, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to prevent the planned adoption by the Verkhovnaya Rada of Ukraine of two laws that are regarded by the Russian Orthodox Church as discriminatory.
"The messages state that, if these drafts are adopted, discriminatory legal practice on a majority of the Orthodox population of Ukraine unprecedented for today's Europe will be legalized. Such restrictive religious legislation was not effective in Ukraine even in the period of the Communist regime, and in the remaining territory of Europe something like that only existed under Nazi rule in Germany," the Russian Orthodox Church said on its website on Wednesday.
There are two bills.
Bill №4511 gives special status to religious organizations "whose administrative centers are located in a state recognized by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state." The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has repeatedly said it sees this document as discriminatory and jeopardizing its communities on the territory of Ukraine.
Bill №4128 gives people belonging to a church community the right to change its charter by voting by simple majority, which the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will lead to the legalization of raiding takeovers of its churches and their transfer to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
The patriarch said these bills contradict the Ukrainian Constitution and current legislation, adding that they have been opposed, specifically, by the main scientific and expert directorate of the Verkhovnaya Rada, its committee on corruption prevention, and representatives of various religious organizations.
The patriarch said the adoption of these laws "jeopardizes the constitutional rights of millions of Ukrainian believers and is capable of causing a wave of violence and new takeovers of churches and aggravating the civil conflict in Ukraine, putting it into the realm of religion." According to the available information, right-wing radical elements took over 40 churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on the territory of Ukraine in 2014-2016. The formal grounds for such takeovers are so-called referenda conducted by residents of villages who decide on the 'transition' of their communities. The opinion of valid founders and members of the community as a legal entity is not taken into account in such situations," he said.
In closing, he called on the addressees to make every effort to prevent the adoption of these bills, which "may become a glaring example of the trampling on the human rights to freedom of religion."
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08