18 May 2017, 12:04
World Council of Churches head calls on Poroshenko to withdraw bills "detrimental" to Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, May 18, Interfax - Responding to an appeal from Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, World Council of Churches Secretary General Rev. Dr. Olav Fykse Tveit has forwarded messages to Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada Chairman Andrey Parubiy to express "deep concern" over the prospect of passing bills that would be "detrimental" to the rights of the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine and calling for these bills to be withdrawn.
It was reported that Bill No. 4511, which the Verkhovnaya Rada is expected to debate at its session on Thursday, proposes granting special status to religious organizations "the administrative centers of which are located in a state which is designated by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state."
Bill No. 4128 suggests allowing people who are members of a church community to change this church community's charter by a simple majority of votes, a move that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will result in legalizing "forcible" takeovers of its churches and transferring control over them to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
"As an ecumenical organization which in its 70 years of existence has always stood for religious freedom and advocated against any form of discrimination in all parts of the world, the World Council of Churches considers that the above mentioned legislative initiatives, if adopted, endanger the freedom of religion and the equality of all churches and religious communities in Ukraine, and risk causing new tensions within Ukrainian society," the World Council of Churches secretary general said in his message shared with Interfax-Religion.
"While appreciating all the efforts made by the government of Ukraine for consolidating democracy and for improving Ukrainian legislation in order to meet international standards, it is our conviction that these two bills run counter to these efforts for democratic development of Ukraine," he said.
"We call for these detrimental bills to be withdrawn," he said.
The World Council of Churches is the largest ecumenical organization, which includes 348 member Churches representing more than 110 countries and 500 million Christians.
It was reported that Patriarch Kirill of Moscow had called on the leaders of the Normandy format countries, the Orthodox churches, Pope Francis and United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres to prevent the planned adoption by the parliament of Ukraine of the aforementioned bills that are regarded by the Russian Orthodox Church as discriminatory.
"As the messages state, these bills, if adopted, will legalize a discriminatory legal practice unheard of in today's Europe with regard to the majority of the Orthodox population in Ukraine. So restrictive a religious legislation did not function in Ukraine even under the communist regime, while in the rest of Europe something similar existed only during the Nazi rule in Germany," the Russian Orthodox Church said on its website on Wednesday.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40