18 May 2017, 16:27
Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau
Chisinau, May 18, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon has spoken against the organization of a march by sexual minorities in Chisinau.
"I am stating my categorical position against the organization of an LGBT march. I have informed U.S. Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Moldova James Petitt that it is not only my personal position, but the position of an overwhelming majority of citizens of Moldova. I have stated very clearly that such actions contradict our traditional values, Orthodox faith and morals. They cannot be and will not be accepted by me personally or the entire society," Dodon said on Facebook.
Dodon said he has decided to organize a number of events to support and promote traditional family values, which will begin on the Grand National Assembly Square in central Chisinau at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday.
"During the conversation, we also discussed issues relating to changes to the Electoral Code, government reform, the referendum on the resignation of the Chisinau mayor, and progress in Transdniestrian settlement," Dodon said.
The 16th LGBT community festival Moldova Pride 2017 is taking place in the capital of Moldova this week. The opening ceremony, which took place on May 16, was attended by U.S. Ambassador James Petitt. The ambassador said he was attending the opening ceremony because of the high importance of human rights and the need to defend minorities in society.
Representatives of the Swedish and Dutch embassies also attended the opening ceremony of the festival.
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Tajik authorities see no need for religious party in country 12 September 2018, 16:26
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31
- Washington pledges support for Kiev in struggle for right to have united autocephalous Orthodox church 12 September 2018, 09:53
- Patriarch Bartholomew's position on Ukrainian Church motivated by politics rather than religion - Russian Imperial Family head 11 September 2018, 17:05
- Jerusalem patriarch expresses solidarity with the head of the canonical UOC 11 September 2018, 14:20
- Putin urges to follow the example of the chief rabbi of Russia - father of 14 children 11 September 2018, 13:05