22 May 2017, 11:08
Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again
Moscow, May 22, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes Christians of different confessions will unite in the future.
"Today we are still divided as theological problems rooted in the ancient times don't give us a possibility to unite," the patriarch said on Sunday at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior after the service at the relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker first time in history delivered from Italy.
The primate said that the Christians could unite "not thanks to their efforts or some church diplomatic steps or theological agreements, but only if the Holy Spirit again unites all who confess the name of Christ."
"We believe that St. Nicholas who listens to the prayers of Christians in the East and in the West stands before the Lord and among others requests asks Him to unite Churches together," he said.
"May the Lord save and help Christians of the West and of the East in going through difficult historic ways," the patriarch said.
The Great Schism of the Churches for the Roman Catholic with center in Rome and Orthodox in the East with center in Constantinople took place in 1054. The schism has not been overcome yet.
- Only one Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitan planned to attend unification assembly, but decided not do so 21 November 2018, 10:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishops are being pressured into attending "unification gathering" 20 November 2018, 19:18
- Putin calls Patriarch Kirill to wish him happy birthday 20 November 2018, 18:36
- Church unification assembly may be held in early Dec - Parubiy 19 November 2018, 13:10
- Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate to decide on date of church unification assembly in Ukraine 19 November 2018, 12:20
- Donbass people affected by war get 15 mln euro aid from Pope 19 November 2018, 12:02
- "Kiev Patriarchate" denies rumors unification assembly set for Nov 22 19 November 2018, 11:59
- Polish Orthodox Church bans all contacts with Ukrainian schismatics 19 November 2018, 11:55
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25