23 May 2017, 15:19
Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis
Moscow, May 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has sent an early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis to express his gratitude for the pope's assistance in organizing the historic visit of the relics of Saint Nicholas to Russia.
At the patriarch's request, the icon will be handed over to Archbishop Francesco Paolo Cacucci of Bari, who met with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Monday after a religious service at the Saint Nicholas relics, which were brought to Moscow from the Pontifical Basilica in Bari the day before.
"In our difficult time, when we observe an escalation of conflicts and confrontation in international relations, cultural and spiritual cooperation is one of the most efficient means with the help of which the Churches can help overcome enmity between peoples," Patriarch Kirill was quoted as saying by his press service to the Catholic delegation.
Russia and Italy have an "enormous cultural heritage", which "was formed in the first place by the Christian faith of our peoples, and we should not lose this foundation of our cultural dialogue under any circumstances today," he said.
The archbishop of Bari, for his part, said that the Catholic Church was constantly receiving requests to share the relics of Saint Nicholas.
The relics have been brought to Moscow specifically for the first time in 930 years, and this demonstrates the "privileged status" of relations between Catholics and the Russian Orthodox Church, and personally Patriarch Kirill, he said.
Patriarch Kirill also presented awards and memorable gifts to representatives of Italy's clergy and authorities who took part in organizing the visit of the Saint Nicholas relics to Russia.
The relics of Saint Nicholas were brought to Russia as part of an agreement reached between Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill during their historic meeting in Havana in February 2016.
As many as 18,600 people came to Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior to revere the relics of Saint Nicholas on Monday, the director of Moscow's department for ethnic policy and interregional ties, Vitaly Suchkov, said.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26