24 May 2017, 15:12
Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution
Moscow, May 24, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on Thursday, the feast of Ascension, will conduct a great consecration of the cathedral dedicated to the new martyrs and confessors suffered from Bolsheviks for their faith at the Moscow Sretensky Monastery.
During the Divine service relics of the Holy Martyr Hilarion (Troitsky) who was the rector of the Sretensky Monastery in the 1920s will be moved from the ancient cathedral of the convent to this new church. The relics will be put in a special reliquary set in the stones brought from the Solovetsky Islands where the holy martyr was in prison in 1924-1929, the Russian Church reports at its website.
Head of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Hilarion will participate in the consecration.
In spring 2011, Patriarch Kirill spoke for perpetuating the memory of those who were killed for faith in the years of persecutions against the Church in the Sretensky Monastery. In the end of December 2013, he consecrated the foundation of the church which should be completed to the 100th anniversary of the revolution.
The church is 61-meter high. The newest technologies were used in its building. The system of ventilation and air-conditioning was installed to provide microclimate inside. Digital equipment is used to control lightning, heating, audio and video broadcasting systems.
The cathedral is covered with stone thread from Vladimir limestone. Ancient cathedrals of Moscow, Suzdal and Vladimir are made from the same stone.
The educational center and the youth center will occupy two floors at the stylobate part. Two museums - the Museum of New Martyrs and the Museum of the Turin Shroud will be set up at the church.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11