24 May 2017, 15:12
Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution
Moscow, May 24, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on Thursday, the feast of Ascension, will conduct a great consecration of the cathedral dedicated to the new martyrs and confessors suffered from Bolsheviks for their faith at the Moscow Sretensky Monastery.
During the Divine service relics of the Holy Martyr Hilarion (Troitsky) who was the rector of the Sretensky Monastery in the 1920s will be moved from the ancient cathedral of the convent to this new church. The relics will be put in a special reliquary set in the stones brought from the Solovetsky Islands where the holy martyr was in prison in 1924-1929, the Russian Church reports at its website.
Head of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Hilarion will participate in the consecration.
In spring 2011, Patriarch Kirill spoke for perpetuating the memory of those who were killed for faith in the years of persecutions against the Church in the Sretensky Monastery. In the end of December 2013, he consecrated the foundation of the church which should be completed to the 100th anniversary of the revolution.
The church is 61-meter high. The newest technologies were used in its building. The system of ventilation and air-conditioning was installed to provide microclimate inside. Digital equipment is used to control lightning, heating, audio and video broadcasting systems.
The cathedral is covered with stone thread from Vladimir limestone. Ancient cathedrals of Moscow, Suzdal and Vladimir are made from the same stone.
The educational center and the youth center will occupy two floors at the stylobate part. Two museums - the Museum of New Martyrs and the Museum of the Turin Shroud will be set up at the church.
- UOC sues Ukrainian culture ministry over name change 22 March 2019, 19:24
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on Poroshenko to put end to takeovers of UOC churches 22 March 2019, 15:06
- ECHR finds no grounds for introduction of interim measures in lawsuit filed by banned organization Jehovah's Witnesses 21 March 2019, 15:57
- Two U.S. Mormons convicted in Kuban for illegal missionary activities leave Russia 20 March 2019, 20:56
- FSB suppresses operation of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Yalta 20 March 2019, 19:09
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54