29 May 2017, 10:18
Almost three-fourths of Russians would like to bow to relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker brought to Moscow - poll
Moscow, May 29, Interfax - Eighty-one percent of Russians know that the relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker have been brought from Italy to Russia and 18% have not heard of this," the Russia Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) said.
Seventy-two percent of respondents said they would like to visit and kiss the relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker, most of them are women (81%), people aged over 60 (82%) and Orthodox Christians (87%).
Eighty-three percent of the respondents are positive about the fact that holy relics are brought from abroad for believers to bow to them. Their main argument is the fact that holy relics will become more accessible to those people who cannot go abroad for some reason (69%).
Eleven percent of the respondents are negative about the bringing of holy relics from abroad. They support their contention by saying that "holy relics should not be troubled and transported" (34%).
The nationwide poll, which surveyed 1,200 respondents, was conducted by phone on May 23-24.
The agreement to bring the relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker from Italy was reached following the historical meeting between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis on February 12, 2016. This is the first time in the past 930 years that Russian Orthodox Christians can touch the holy relics on the territory of the Russian Federation.
A part of the relics was brought to the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow on May 21, before the day of memory of St. Nicholas. The holy relics will be in St. Petersburg on July 13-28.
- Pope Francis dealing with issue of release of Ukrainian national guardsman convicted in Italy - Zelensky 05 June 2020, 20:52
- Yakutsk City Court finds hospitalization of shaman Gabyshev legal 05 June 2020, 19:47
- Rabbi Lazar believes 'difficulties' not a Kosher notion 05 June 2020, 12:37
- Crimea court increases sentence earlier handed to a Jehovah's Witness, replacing fine with six years in jail 05 June 2020, 10:00
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22