30 May 2017, 10:47
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate demands return of all property seized from it, halt of attempts to create state Church in Ukraine
Moscow, May 30, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has called for an end to be put to church division in Ukraine and state interference in religious affairs.
"One should finally put an end to the attempts to create a state Church in Ukraine. All churches and religious communities should be equal to the state and serve freely," the Synod said in an address issued on the 25th anniversary of the Kharkov Bishops Council.
Church division, which can only be overcome by "frank and sincere dialogue," continues to exist in Ukraine, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate said in a document posted on its website on Monday.
"However, dialogue became impossible today in a situation of open aggression by the "Kiev Ppatriarchate." The first step towards it should be the halt of violence and aggressive rhetoric. All illegally seized church property should be returned to its lawful owners. Real dialogue can only begin after specific actions that confirm peace-loving intensions and declarations," the document said.
The Synod also said the Ukrainian Orthodox Church today is the most populous religious organization in the country and it is represented in all regions of Ukraine.
"Don't call us 'Moscow Church' just because we keep the centuries-old tradition that begins from the Christening of Kievan Rus in the blessed waters of the Dnieper and unites millions of believers who now live in Moscow, Minsk, Chisinau, and in many other cities and states worldwide," the document said.
Dozens of churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church were taken over by representatives of the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate" after the fighting began in eastern Ukraine three years ago. These incidents occur amid the attempts made by the Ukrainian authorities to create a local Orthodox Church in the country. One of the goals is to separate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate.
- New church of Ukraine in contact with SBU, but doesn't coordinate actions – Filaret 21 January 2019, 12:39
- Group of Ukrainian parliamentarians challenges constitutionality of law obliging Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name 21 January 2019, 12:06
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55