30 May 2017, 10:47
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate demands return of all property seized from it, halt of attempts to create state Church in Ukraine
Moscow, May 30, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has called for an end to be put to church division in Ukraine and state interference in religious affairs.
"One should finally put an end to the attempts to create a state Church in Ukraine. All churches and religious communities should be equal to the state and serve freely," the Synod said in an address issued on the 25th anniversary of the Kharkov Bishops Council.
Church division, which can only be overcome by "frank and sincere dialogue," continues to exist in Ukraine, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate said in a document posted on its website on Monday.
"However, dialogue became impossible today in a situation of open aggression by the "Kiev Ppatriarchate." The first step towards it should be the halt of violence and aggressive rhetoric. All illegally seized church property should be returned to its lawful owners. Real dialogue can only begin after specific actions that confirm peace-loving intensions and declarations," the document said.
The Synod also said the Ukrainian Orthodox Church today is the most populous religious organization in the country and it is represented in all regions of Ukraine.
"Don't call us 'Moscow Church' just because we keep the centuries-old tradition that begins from the Christening of Kievan Rus in the blessed waters of the Dnieper and unites millions of believers who now live in Moscow, Minsk, Chisinau, and in many other cities and states worldwide," the document said.
Dozens of churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church were taken over by representatives of the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate" after the fighting began in eastern Ukraine three years ago. These incidents occur amid the attempts made by the Ukrainian authorities to create a local Orthodox Church in the country. One of the goals is to separate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate.
- Russian Orthodox Church planning to address issue of pastoral direction for Russians on territory of Constantinople Patriarchate (updated) 16 October 2018, 19:08
- Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova 16 October 2018, 18:00
- Peskov: Kremlin concerned by relations between Russian Orthodox Church and Constantinople 16 October 2018, 15:47
- Poroshenko to propose granting Constantinople permanent use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev 16 October 2018, 13:57
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24
- Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod 15 October 2018, 22:21
- Russian Church hopes Ukrainian believers will not be harassed 15 October 2018, 22:17
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes Patriarch of Constantinople will change his mind on Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:13
- Further Eucharistic communion with Patriarchate of Constantinople deemed impossible - Russian Synod's decision 15 October 2018, 22:10
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02
- Lavrov calls Patriarch Bartholomew's actions on Ukraine as provocation backed by U.S. (updated) 12 October 2018, 19:35