30 May 2017, 10:47
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate demands return of all property seized from it, halt of attempts to create state Church in Ukraine
Moscow, May 30, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has called for an end to be put to church division in Ukraine and state interference in religious affairs.
"One should finally put an end to the attempts to create a state Church in Ukraine. All churches and religious communities should be equal to the state and serve freely," the Synod said in an address issued on the 25th anniversary of the Kharkov Bishops Council.
Church division, which can only be overcome by "frank and sincere dialogue," continues to exist in Ukraine, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate said in a document posted on its website on Monday.
"However, dialogue became impossible today in a situation of open aggression by the "Kiev Ppatriarchate." The first step towards it should be the halt of violence and aggressive rhetoric. All illegally seized church property should be returned to its lawful owners. Real dialogue can only begin after specific actions that confirm peace-loving intensions and declarations," the document said.
The Synod also said the Ukrainian Orthodox Church today is the most populous religious organization in the country and it is represented in all regions of Ukraine.
"Don't call us 'Moscow Church' just because we keep the centuries-old tradition that begins from the Christening of Kievan Rus in the blessed waters of the Dnieper and unites millions of believers who now live in Moscow, Minsk, Chisinau, and in many other cities and states worldwide," the document said.
Dozens of churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church were taken over by representatives of the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate" after the fighting began in eastern Ukraine three years ago. These incidents occur amid the attempts made by the Ukrainian authorities to create a local Orthodox Church in the country. One of the goals is to separate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate.
- First Orthodox monastery opens in Japan 17 July 2018, 18:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33
- A bell-tower that can be managed from a cellular phone opened in Yamal 26 June 2018, 17:21