05 June 2017, 10:05
Patriarch Kirill urges to continue Russian property restitution in Middle East
Moscow, June 5, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia expressed hope that the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society will continue efforts in returning the Russian property in the Middle East, as well as humanitarian projects in the region.
"I am confident that the Society needs to continue its work in returning Russia's lost historical property, which our predecessors had gathered by working hard, and especially the part of immovable property that used to belong to the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society," the patriarch said at a meeting on the occasion of the society's 135th anniversary, speaking of successful experience of the St. Sergius Court's restitution in Jerusalem.
Patriarch Kirill recalled that the society was engaged in extensive educational work in the Middle East, where over 100 educational establishments, including 78 schools in 50 cities and villages of Syria, operated under the aegis of the organization, in 19th and the early 20th centuries.
He urged to develop this activity, recalling that 500 Palestinian boys are attending the Russian school opened with the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society's participation in Bethlehem.
"I hope the Society will be able to successfully implement the existing plans to build schools in Syria, Lebanon and maybe other countries in the near future," he said.
The patriarch also gave his blessing to the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society to continue providing humanitarian assistance to the population of the Middle East.
"It is important that the cargo reaches specifically those who need it. It is necessary to establish direct contacts with representatives of the local religious communities for this purpose. The Russian Orthodox Church and particularly the Department for External Church Relations are ready to provide all possible assistance to the Society in maintaining these contacts," he said.
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28