05 June 2017, 10:05
Patriarch Kirill urges to continue Russian property restitution in Middle East
Moscow, June 5, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia expressed hope that the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society will continue efforts in returning the Russian property in the Middle East, as well as humanitarian projects in the region.
"I am confident that the Society needs to continue its work in returning Russia's lost historical property, which our predecessors had gathered by working hard, and especially the part of immovable property that used to belong to the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society," the patriarch said at a meeting on the occasion of the society's 135th anniversary, speaking of successful experience of the St. Sergius Court's restitution in Jerusalem.
Patriarch Kirill recalled that the society was engaged in extensive educational work in the Middle East, where over 100 educational establishments, including 78 schools in 50 cities and villages of Syria, operated under the aegis of the organization, in 19th and the early 20th centuries.
He urged to develop this activity, recalling that 500 Palestinian boys are attending the Russian school opened with the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society's participation in Bethlehem.
"I hope the Society will be able to successfully implement the existing plans to build schools in Syria, Lebanon and maybe other countries in the near future," he said.
The patriarch also gave his blessing to the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society to continue providing humanitarian assistance to the population of the Middle East.
"It is important that the cargo reaches specifically those who need it. It is necessary to establish direct contacts with representatives of the local religious communities for this purpose. The Russian Orthodox Church and particularly the Department for External Church Relations are ready to provide all possible assistance to the Society in maintaining these contacts," he said.
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Crimea's Muslim board urges local Muslims not to get in touch with sect members 29 March 2019, 11:03