05 June 2017, 10:05
Patriarch Kirill urges to continue Russian property restitution in Middle East
Moscow, June 5, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia expressed hope that the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society will continue efforts in returning the Russian property in the Middle East, as well as humanitarian projects in the region.
"I am confident that the Society needs to continue its work in returning Russia's lost historical property, which our predecessors had gathered by working hard, and especially the part of immovable property that used to belong to the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society," the patriarch said at a meeting on the occasion of the society's 135th anniversary, speaking of successful experience of the St. Sergius Court's restitution in Jerusalem.
Patriarch Kirill recalled that the society was engaged in extensive educational work in the Middle East, where over 100 educational establishments, including 78 schools in 50 cities and villages of Syria, operated under the aegis of the organization, in 19th and the early 20th centuries.
He urged to develop this activity, recalling that 500 Palestinian boys are attending the Russian school opened with the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society's participation in Bethlehem.
"I hope the Society will be able to successfully implement the existing plans to build schools in Syria, Lebanon and maybe other countries in the near future," he said.
The patriarch also gave his blessing to the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society to continue providing humanitarian assistance to the population of the Middle East.
"It is important that the cargo reaches specifically those who need it. It is necessary to establish direct contacts with representatives of the local religious communities for this purpose. The Russian Orthodox Church and particularly the Department for External Church Relations are ready to provide all possible assistance to the Society in maintaining these contacts," he said.
- Russia puts Jehovah's Witnesses on prohibited organization list 17 August 2017, 14:10
- Vatican secretary of state to hold talks in Russia 17 August 2017, 13:14
- Vatican secretary of state won't discuss prospects for pope's Russia visit in Moscow - Russian Catholic official 17 August 2017, 12:33
- Increase of number of repatriates from Russia to Israel unrelated to actual relocation – FJCR 17 August 2017, 10:00
- Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S. 16 August 2017, 19:29
- State Duma dubs U.S. Dept of State's report on oppression of religious minorities in Russia as unprofessional 16 August 2017, 10:11
- Russia tops list of countries by emigration to Israel 16 August 2017, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation 16 August 2017, 10:00
- Number of Russian Muslims to undertake hajj increases by 3,000, to 23,500 people, this year 11 August 2017, 13:38
- Priest from Yevpatoria asks to set up a nudist beach in Crimea 10 August 2017, 10:51
- March of the Living to be held in Rostov region to commemorate Jews massacred by Nazi 09 August 2017, 10:00
- Erdogan to attend OIC summit in Astana 08 August 2017, 15:09
- Protestant pastor jailed for 3 years for extremism in Tajikistan 08 August 2017, 10:17
- Priest detained in Vitebsk brothel to be temporary banned from ministry - Russian Orthodox Church 08 August 2017, 10:14
- Russian Jews appalled by reproaches of trying to monetize Holocaust tragedy 08 August 2017, 10:00
- Head of Russian old believers does not believe in overcoming schism with the Moscow Patriarchate 07 August 2017, 13:53
- Over 100 Georgian prisoners imprisoned in Istanbul demand to set up a corner for prayers 07 August 2017, 11:12
- Russian MP congratulates Georgian patriarch on his name day in Tbilisi – media 04 August 2017, 12:15
- Govt prioritizes stronger inter-ethnic, inter-religious accord – Putin 03 August 2017, 15:23
- FJCR President welcomes law on the Victory Day adopted by the knesset 28 July 2017, 14:10
- Kremlin receives no notice from Kadyrov on readiness to resign as Chechnya head to defend Al-Aqsa Mosque 28 July 2017, 13:26
- Kadyrov suggests holy sites on Temple Mount be returned under Jordan's control 28 July 2017, 10:31
- Israeli ambassador to Russia hopes Moscow to support security measures on Jerusalem's Temple Mount 26 July 2017, 18:19
- Russia could assume role in resolving conflict around Temple Mount in Jerusalem - Palestinian ambassador 26 July 2017, 17:12
- Israel commits to preserve full access to holy places in Jerusalem - ambassador to Russia 26 July 2017, 17:07
- FJCR convinced that scandal surrounding Temple Mount is anti-Semites' work 25 July 2017, 18:38
- Almost 80% of Russians approve of Jehovah's Witnesses ban in country – poll 25 July 2017, 10:00
- A total of 182,000 believers go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in St. Pete over past week 20 July 2017, 18:03
- LGBT problem doesn't exist in Chechnya - Russian envoy to OSCE 20 July 2017, 10:05
- Washington urges Russia to lift ban on Jehovah's Witnesses' activities 20 July 2017, 10:00