22 June 2017, 18:06
Moscow City Hall denies authorization for gay pride parade, rally in support of ECHR decision on law banning gay propaganda
Moscow, June 22, Interfax - The Moscow authorities have denied authorization to a gay pride parade and a rally in support of the decision made by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), which has found the Russian legislation banning gay propaganda among minors to be discriminatory, LGBT activist Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"The Moscow authorities have just banned in the city a gay pride parade and a rally calling for the enforcement of the ECHR verdict issued on Tuesday in a case involving the illegitimacy of the Russian laws banning gay propaganda," Alexeyev said on the social networking site Vkontakte.
The text of the denials published by Alexeyev states that "the true purposes of the rally may be 'camouflaged' and violate the legislation on the protection of the rights of minors.
"The intentions of the organizer to conduct mass events indicate his wish to spread gay culture for the purpose of information and psychological influence on an unlimited number of people, including minors," the document, signed by Vasily Oleinik, deputy head of the Moscow regional security department, said.
"These decisions will be urgently contested in court," Alexeyev said.
A march on Tverskoy Boulevard was expected to be conducted on July 1 and a rally in front of the monument to Griboyedov on Chistoprudny Boulevard was expected to be held on July 2.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11