25 June 2017, 15:52
Thousands of Muslims mark Eid al-Fitr in Moscow Cathedral Mosque
Moscow, June 25, Interfax - Several thousands of people gathered in the Moscow Cathedral Mosque on Monday to pray on Eid al-Fitr, one of the main holidays, which marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
The holiday service is conducted by Ravil Gainutdin the head of the Russian Council of Muftis. The mosque and its territory are fully of believers. Hundreds of Muslims who were unable to get inside have gathered on the neighboring streets, putting prayer carpets on the ground.
"I am asking the All-Merciful Creator to strengthen our faith, to increase our virtue, to put feelings of mercy and commiseration with our neighbor in our hearts, to give peace ad wellbeing to our Fatherland and all mankind," Gainutdin said in his address to believers.
The mufti called on them to be generous and responsive, saying thee qualities are characteristic of believes and a lack of them is a sign of a lack of faith.
Prayers are also being conducted in Moscow in the Historical, Memorial and other mosques and on special sites. Some streets have been closed to traffic due to the holiday.
Eid al-Fitr marks the end of the fast, which lasted through the month of Ramadan. According to Islam, Allah gave the Koran to the people in that month.
Before the holiday, Muslims are supposed to fulfill their obligation to the Almightily One in favor of needy people. Spiritual directorates of Muslims establish the amount of alms to men, women and children every year. This year, it is 100 rubles for low-income people, 300 rubles for people with average incomes and from 500 people for wealthy people.
The holiday is marked for three days. In that time, Muslims go to mosques and read the Koran. The celebrations continue at the holiday table, when people visit each other and give each other gifts. It is also a tradition to help the poor so that everyone can take part in the celebration.
On these days, all relatives are expected to come together because it is believes that the souls of he dead come to their relatives' houses at Eid al-Fitr. Additionally, every Muslim considers it his duty to visit his ancestors' graves.
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- Moscow authorities deny authorization to picket near Myanmar embassy 07 September 2017, 12:06
- First Turkish aid to Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims to be delivered Thursday - Turkish Red Crescent head 06 September 2017, 19:08
- Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years 05 September 2017, 18:17
- Putin against any violence in Myanmar, does not see Kadyrov's remarks as oppositional, asks everyone to calm down 05 September 2017, 10:41
- Russian, Egyptian presidents concerned about situation in Myanmar – Peskov 04 September 2017, 18:56
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslims to participate only in authorized actions following events in Myanmar 04 September 2017, 18:53