03 July 2017, 20:18
Monks in Valaam breed peacocks
Moscow, July 3, Interfax - Monks of the Holy Transfiguration Monastery are involved in breeding peacocks.
"There are already 20 of them, and majority of them were born on Valaam. If you hear strange sounds from the other bank when you stay in St. Nicholas Hermitage on Valaam, don't be surprised, it is Father Methody's peacocks," Father Superior of the monastery Bishop Pankraty of Troitsk writes at his page in a social net.
Hegumen Methody (Petrov), Macedonian by origin, who has been residing on Valaam from 1993, is involved in breeding peacocks. He has also initiated numerous charitable projects for local residents, participated in reviving the monastery and developing pilgrimage and tourism on the archipelago.
Besides, it was reported that Valaam monks started growing pineapples in greenhouses, and there are plenty of apples and other fruit trees in monastic gardens, some of them are over 100 years old.
Animals and birds, including exotic ones, more and more often appear in Orthodox monasteries of Russia and become companions for monks and favorite pets for pilgrims.
The Serpukhov monastery of Mistress and Presentation of the Holy Virgin in the Moscow Region was the first convent which started breeding peacocks. These beautiful birds are more and more often seen in monasteries not only in South and Central Russia, but also in Siberia. Other exotic for Russia animals make company to them. For example, a peacock, a duck with a drake and a young deer reside in St. Michael Arсhangel Monastery in the village of Kozikha, the Novosibirsk Region.
Sometimes exotic animals and birds not only make the landscape beautiful, but also fulfill their social role. Thus, a camel was conveyed to the Novogolutvin Monastery of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin in the Moscow Region and then it became a pet of the Sunday school pupils.
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- Moscow authorities deny authorization to picket near Myanmar embassy 07 September 2017, 12:06
- First Turkish aid to Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims to be delivered Thursday - Turkish Red Crescent head 06 September 2017, 19:08
- Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years 05 September 2017, 18:17
- Putin against any violence in Myanmar, does not see Kadyrov's remarks as oppositional, asks everyone to calm down 05 September 2017, 10:41
- Russian, Egyptian presidents concerned about situation in Myanmar – Peskov 04 September 2017, 18:56
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslims to participate only in authorized actions following events in Myanmar 04 September 2017, 18:53