03 July 2017, 21:57
The Russian Church protests against the Strasbourg decision to withdraw life support from the seriously ill British boy
Moscow, July 3, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church protests against the decision taken by the European courts to withdraw the life support systems from a 10-months old British boy Charlie Guard, who suffer from a rare genetic disease.
"Monstrous decision of the European Human Rights court demonstrates the deepest crisis of the notion of human rights protection. Today the right to life gives way to the right to death," head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Metropolitan Hilarion said in his statement.
According to the hierarch, the situation is especially dramatic as the parents cannot take a decision independently. The metropolitan wonders "why in the 21st century in a free democratic state a family is locked in one clinic because of the court decision and cannot turn to another clinic."
The Russian church official calls this situation "a violation against parents' conscience, mockery at them, sadism painted in humanistic tones."
He stressed that in Charlie's case there were doctors in the USA who were ready to treat him and finances for it. Despite it, the court took the decision that "in best interests" of the child to withdraw him from life support systems, provide palliative care to him and let him die with dignity.
Metropolitan Hilarion is perplexed why it is always proclaimed that a human life is an absolute value in the West, but murder of seriously ill people including children become "legalized reality."
He hopes that Charlie's parents will have a chance to give their child a treatment, which they consider necessary. "I pray that they could go through the terrible trials they have to face. I hope that merciful God will not deprive little Charlie of His love and turn his sufferings to the promise of eternal life," the Russian church official said in his statement.
- Israeli ambassador to Russia hopes Moscow to support security measures on Jerusalem's Temple Mount 26 July 2017, 18:19
- Russia could assume role in resolving conflict around Temple Mount in Jerusalem - Palestinian ambassador 26 July 2017, 17:12
- Israel commits to preserve full access to holy places in Jerusalem - ambassador to Russia 26 July 2017, 17:07
- FJCR convinced that scandal surrounding Temple Mount is anti-Semites' work 25 July 2017, 18:38
- Almost 80% of Russians approve of Jehovah's Witnesses ban in country – poll 25 July 2017, 10:00
- A total of 182,000 believers go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in St. Pete over past week 20 July 2017, 18:03
- LGBT problem doesn't exist in Chechnya - Russian envoy to OSCE 20 July 2017, 10:05
- Washington urges Russia to lift ban on Jehovah's Witnesses' activities 20 July 2017, 10:00
- Kazakhstan not planning to ban Jehovah's Witnesses - minister 19 July 2017, 17:35
- The Ecumenical Patriarch called the Donbass conflict a "fratricidal war" and prayed for peace in Ukraine 19 July 2017, 13:32
- Jehovah's Witnesses intent to appeal with ECHR against ruling to abolish organization – lawyer 18 July 2017, 10:04
- Russian Supreme Court refuses to invalidate ban imposed on Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 18 July 2017, 10:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes prolongation of sanctions not harmful for Russia 17 July 2017, 12:30
- Metropolitan Hilarion is sure that Putin's meeting with Trump will help save lives in the Middle East 17 July 2017, 10:53
- Imams to combat TB in Kyrgyzstan 17 July 2017, 10:37
- Genetic engineering has right to existence if it can help treat people, professor-deacon believes 14 July 2017, 13:17
- Not a single instance of harassment against gays reported in Chechnya – Lavrov 13 July 2017, 18:03
- Investigative Committee fully rules out religious motive in Nemtsov murder case, only motive is financial gain 13 July 2017, 13:18
- Relics of St. Nicholas come to Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Petersburg 13 July 2017, 13:14
- Peskov denies report of Putin presenting yacht to Valaam monks 12 July 2017, 17:01
- Over 1.75 million people go on pilgrimage to St. Nicholas relics in Moscow 12 July 2017, 13:48
- Atambayev calls on people of Kyrgyzstan to focus on education instead of religion 12 July 2017, 11:44
- Italian marquise conveyed a particle of St. Catherine relics to the Yekaterinburg Diocese 11 July 2017, 10:25
- LGBT issues are raised in Western organizations only for purpose of condemning Russia or other countries – Slutsky 10 July 2017, 17:15
- Expert confirm authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' in meeting with patriarch in June - Romanov Family Association 10 July 2017, 16:57
- Sverdlovsk Region Court mitigates sentence for 'Pokemon catcher' 07 July 2017, 13:10
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies calling for restoration of monarchy 07 July 2017, 10:25
- One and a half million people go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in Moscow 06 July 2017, 18:01
- Investigative Committee has not registered persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya yet – Moskalkova 06 July 2017, 15:10
- Four suspected religious extremists detained in Kyrgyzstan 06 July 2017, 10:28