03 July 2017, 21:57
The Russian Church protests against the Strasbourg decision to withdraw life support from the seriously ill British boy
Moscow, July 3, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church protests against the decision taken by the European courts to withdraw the life support systems from a 10-months old British boy Charlie Guard, who suffer from a rare genetic disease.
"Monstrous decision of the European Human Rights court demonstrates the deepest crisis of the notion of human rights protection. Today the right to life gives way to the right to death," head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Metropolitan Hilarion said in his statement.
According to the hierarch, the situation is especially dramatic as the parents cannot take a decision independently. The metropolitan wonders "why in the 21st century in a free democratic state a family is locked in one clinic because of the court decision and cannot turn to another clinic."
The Russian church official calls this situation "a violation against parents' conscience, mockery at them, sadism painted in humanistic tones."
He stressed that in Charlie's case there were doctors in the USA who were ready to treat him and finances for it. Despite it, the court took the decision that "in best interests" of the child to withdraw him from life support systems, provide palliative care to him and let him die with dignity.
Metropolitan Hilarion is perplexed why it is always proclaimed that a human life is an absolute value in the West, but murder of seriously ill people including children become "legalized reality."
He hopes that Charlie's parents will have a chance to give their child a treatment, which they consider necessary. "I pray that they could go through the terrible trials they have to face. I hope that merciful God will not deprive little Charlie of His love and turn his sufferings to the promise of eternal life," the Russian church official said in his statement.
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11