10 July 2017, 17:15
LGBT issues are raised in Western organizations only for purpose of condemning Russia or other countries – Slutsky
Moscow, July 10, Interfax - The LGBT issue is raised in the West especially to be able to condemn Russia, Leonid Slutsky, the head of the State Duma committee on international affairs and a member of the Russian delegation in the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly (PA), said.
"Such issues are raised in order to throw mud at Russia on this issue later. By the way, it doesn't happen only to Russia. In nine out of every ten situations, we are not talking about LGBT as such, but about some political issues: [they say] they are persecuted, beaten, punished, but later it turns out that it's absolutely not true; but the information was already reported and the reputation in the mass consciousness is somewhat spoiled," Slutsky told reporters on Monday.
Such misinformation works in this manner and it does not require any probes to condemn a specific country, he said.
Pyotr Tolstoy, the head of the Russian delegation in the OSCE PA and deputy speaker of the State Duma, for his part, said that some 15% of the time at the OSCE PA session had been devoted to this issue and said he was trying to find a response for himself regarding why that is happening.
"It's a tendency in European politics, which I undoubtedly regret, a tendency to draw a direct line between human rights and not just the rights of the LGBT community, but the need for separate financing and support of these people on a state and municipal level. We sympathize with our European colleagues that they have such serious problems with that. There are no such problems in Russia, and no separate financing is envisaged," Tolstoy said.
"They have discussed this issue with interest for a long time, and it seems to me that some 15 percent of the time at the Assembly is devoted to this issue," he said.
He said it is not quite clear to him why this issue draws so much attention: if that is because some parliamentarians are directly interested in this issue or it is because the voters are persistently asking them to give a lot of attention to this issue.
According to earlier reports, the OSCE PA had declined a resolution on the situation in Eastern Europe and it will not be included in the final declaration. Equal numbers of parliamentarians voted for and against the adoption of this resolution. For this reason, the PA secretariat decided not to include this resolution in the final Minsk declaration.
In one of the provisions of the draft resolution, the OSCE PA had called on the Russian authorities to improve the laws on the fight against discrimination, including to provide guarantees of protection from persecution to representatives of the LGBT community and their associations.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26