12 July 2017, 11:44
Atambayev calls on people of Kyrgyzstan to focus on education instead of religion
Bishkek, July 12, Interfax - The future of Kyrgyzstan will rest upon education rather than "alien religious values," Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev said.
"I am happy that one of the tasks I have set for myself is being achieved. I was dreaming of a higher prestige of teachers and their worthy salaries. Although we have built no new enterprises in the past five to six years, an average teacher's salary has grown fourfold," Atambayev said at a state award ceremony on Wednesday.
"We have achieved a situation in which 24% of the national budget goes to education. No one else in the world can boast that. The indicator varies from 3% to 4%, maximally 6%, in other countries. I think this is right because people are our biggest treasure and our future lies with an educated country," the president said.
"Stop hurting your head while praying. You should focus on education instead. In that case you will no longer confuse religion with Arab culture. The Almightily is neither an Arab nor a Kyrgyz, this is universal conscience and energy," he said.
"You should not confuse rules with the culture the Arabs have had for a thousand years. I believe that our culture is much more ancient," Atambayev said.
The course towards high quality and better conditions of education would continue after the end of his presidential term, he added. "Kyrgyzstan is posting the highest economic growth on the post-Soviet space. I believe that our economy will begin to enhance 18 or 24 months from now, and we will be able to raise pensions and salaries of teachers," he said.
The president decorated teachers, doctors, artists, and a number of officials and heads of local administrations on Wednesday.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26