07 August 2017, 13:53
Head of Russian old believers does not believe in overcoming schism with the Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, August 7, Interfax - Primate of the Russian Orthodox Old Rite Church does not believe it possible to reunite with the Moscow Patriarchate.
"Injuries of the schism are too deep. We are very different in our core, in our rites and spirit. We will never accept their rites and they will hardly return to the Old rite in the neatest future," he said in his interview with Kommersant daily on Monday.
He characterized existing relations with the Moscow Patriarchate as peaceful co-existence and thanked authorities for equal attitude to the both Orthodox Churches.
The metropolitan also believes that good neighboring relations between the Old believers and the Moscow Patriarchate "help people to be kind to each other, live in peace, help society struggle against alcoholism, drug addiction, abortions."
Russian President Vladimir Putin visited the Old believers' spiritual center at the Rogozhskoye Cemetery on May 31 and the metropolitan called this event "historic". "In the past we could not even imagine that tzars or general secretaries will visit our center in Moscow," he said.
Old Believers are Russian Orthodox Christians who adhere to the service books and rituals of the Russian Orthodox Church prior to the reforms made by the Russian Orthodox Patriarch Nikon in 1653. Before the Russian Revolution in 1917 there were nearly 20 million Old Believers in the Russian Empire, but now after nearly a century of Communist persecution and simple secularization of Russian people, their number does not exceed two million.
- Russian Church content with results of inter-Orthodox meeting in Amman 27 February 2020, 09:58
- Proposed date for public vote on amendments to Russian Constitution is between Easter and Ramadan 26 February 2020, 18:23
- God doesn't care if he's mentioned in the Constitution - Surkov 26 February 2020, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27