16 August 2017, 19:29
Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S.
Moscow, August 16, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has called on U.S. President Donald Trump to suppress manifestations of anti-Semitism.
The reason for the appeal is a far right rally formally aimed at protesting the demolition of the monument to Confederate Army Commander Robert Lee in Charlottesville, Virginia, on August 12. During the rally, its participants chanted: "Jews will not replace us." At the same time, there was a demonstration against the far right march, during which a car drove into a group of protestors. Several people were injured and a woman was killed.
"First and foremost, these events show how resilient anti-Semitism is among nationalists, regardless of what country they live in. Despite the fact that the demonstration was dedicated to the issue of the demolition of monuments to the leaders of the 19th century slave-owner Confederate States of America, its participants immediately began shouting anti-Semitic slogans," head of the FJCR public relations department Boruch Gorin told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
Conspiracy theories suggesting that these events were allegedly provoked by Jews attempting to discredit the far right have already emerged, he said.
The events in Charlottesville also showed high propensity to violence of those who support racist ideologies, Gorin said. In this regard, the issue of joint measures by governments and civil society in the fight against the ideology of hatred "to which even the United States, the citadel of democracy, turned out not to be immune," is becoming relevant again, he said.
"I hope actions making such outbreaks of violence impossible in the future will follow U.S. President Donald Trump's strong condemnation of these people's acts," Gorin said.
He recalled that prior to the rally, an article alleging that Jews were preparing "a riot with genocide in the spirit of Bolsheviks" was published on a popular far right website, and that renowned U.S. conspiracy theorist Alex Jones even said that Jewish activists seeking to discredit the far right participated in the rally posing as neo-Nazis.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28