16 August 2017, 19:29
Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S.
Moscow, August 16, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has called on U.S. President Donald Trump to suppress manifestations of anti-Semitism.
The reason for the appeal is a far right rally formally aimed at protesting the demolition of the monument to Confederate Army Commander Robert Lee in Charlottesville, Virginia, on August 12. During the rally, its participants chanted: "Jews will not replace us." At the same time, there was a demonstration against the far right march, during which a car drove into a group of protestors. Several people were injured and a woman was killed.
"First and foremost, these events show how resilient anti-Semitism is among nationalists, regardless of what country they live in. Despite the fact that the demonstration was dedicated to the issue of the demolition of monuments to the leaders of the 19th century slave-owner Confederate States of America, its participants immediately began shouting anti-Semitic slogans," head of the FJCR public relations department Boruch Gorin told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
Conspiracy theories suggesting that these events were allegedly provoked by Jews attempting to discredit the far right have already emerged, he said.
The events in Charlottesville also showed high propensity to violence of those who support racist ideologies, Gorin said. In this regard, the issue of joint measures by governments and civil society in the fight against the ideology of hatred "to which even the United States, the citadel of democracy, turned out not to be immune," is becoming relevant again, he said.
"I hope actions making such outbreaks of violence impossible in the future will follow U.S. President Donald Trump's strong condemnation of these people's acts," Gorin said.
He recalled that prior to the rally, an article alleging that Jews were preparing "a riot with genocide in the spirit of Bolsheviks" was published on a popular far right website, and that renowned U.S. conspiracy theorist Alex Jones even said that Jewish activists seeking to discredit the far right participated in the rally posing as neo-Nazis.
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- Moscow authorities deny authorization to picket near Myanmar embassy 07 September 2017, 12:06
- First Turkish aid to Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims to be delivered Thursday - Turkish Red Crescent head 06 September 2017, 19:08
- Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years 05 September 2017, 18:17
- Putin against any violence in Myanmar, does not see Kadyrov's remarks as oppositional, asks everyone to calm down 05 September 2017, 10:41
- Russian, Egyptian presidents concerned about situation in Myanmar – Peskov 04 September 2017, 18:56
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslims to participate only in authorized actions following events in Myanmar 04 September 2017, 18:53