05 September 2017, 18:17
Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years
Tbilisi, September 5, Interfax - The Tbilisi City Court found Achpriest Georgy Mamaladze guilty of an attempt at the premeditated murder of Shorena Tetruashvili, the secretary to the patriarch, as well as of illegal possession of weapons, following a months-long trial behind closed doors, on Tuesday.
The court sentenced Mamaladze to nine years of imprisonment, an Interfax correspondent reported.
Mamaladze's lawyers said they believe that investigators' conclusions are utter nonsense and that certain representatives of the patriarchate and the current Georgian authorities initiated a "reprisal" against their client, as he had accused them of massive corruption, while serving as the deputy administrator of the patriarchate's property two years ago.
"The court rendered an unfair judgment and actually upheld the prosecution's request for Father Georgy's imprisonment. It's a disaster. We will certainly appeal the sentence to the appeals court and, if necessary, to the Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, as well," lawyer Mikheil Ramishvili told reporters.
Law enforcement officers detained Mamaladze at the Tbilisi International Airport on February 10. They found cyanide, a toxic substance, in his luggage. According to the prosecution, Mamaladze was en route to Berlin, where Patriarch Ilia II was expecting surgery on his gallbladder, and other church officials, including Tetruashvili, were also present at the time.
Investigators believe that Mamaladze illegally purchased cyanide from an unidentified person and was planning to use it to poison Tetruashvili in Berlin for hindering his career advancement.
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29