07 September 2017, 15:20
Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia
Moscow, September 7, Interfax - An organizer of an unauthorized protest action outside the Myanmar embassy to Russia that was scheduled for Friday thinks that many Muscovites will stage one-man pickets and has offered the Myanmar ambassador to Russia to meet.
In a letter addressed to the Myanmar ambassador to Russia, a copy of which was obtained by Interfax, writer and journalist Arslan Khasavov said the reason for this offer is his intention to avoid fuelling tensions around the protests in Moscow in connection with the persecution of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.
"To reduce the intensity of emotions in Russian society and to prevent religious conflicts, I would like to propose that I meet you in the building of the Myanmar embassy at 6:30 p.m. on September 8 to give you a petition," the letter said.
The picket organizer said the petition calling for "the halt of the genocide of Muslim people in Myanmar" has been supported by over 140,000 people on the Internet. "I am convinced that a frank and respectful conversation will serve the interests of our two countries and, above all, will improve the future of the Rohingya, whose pain and despair we take as our own," it said.
Khasavov wrote that Moscow authorities had denied him authorization of a picket with 200 participants near the Myanmar embassy on September 8. "Nevertheless, Russian legislation allows citizens to hold one-man pickets, an opportunity that, I am sure, many residents of the Moscow capital will want to use in the absence of other legal ways to express their protest," he wrote.
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29