07 September 2017, 18:15
Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs
Moscow, September 7, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has described Pyotr Poroshenko's remarks that Ukraine should create an autocephalous Orthodox Church with the support of the Patriarch of Constantinople, as an attempt to earn political capital.
During the annual address to parliament on Thursday, the president said that Ukraine is entitled to an autocephalous Orthodox Church, and will seek its creation. "The recognition of the Ukrainian autocephaly which we expect from the Ecumenical patriarch will by no means signify the emergence of a state church or the banning of other Christian Orthodox denominations' activities," Poroshenko said.
This is not the first time that the Ukrainian leader said his country needs an independent (autocephalous) church, the Moscow Patriarchate said. For example, last year Verkhovnaya Rada deputies wrote to the Patriarch of Constantinople raising the same issue.
"And just like then, this time round interference in the Church's internal affairs is evident," Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, secretary for inter-Orthodox relation at the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, told Interfax-Religion.
The president's statement today was "not in any way agreed on with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is the autocephalous Church of Ukraine recognized by the whole Christian Orthodox world," the priest said.
During one of his visits to Kiev, Patriarch Kirill told the then president, Viktor Yushchenko, that the autocephalous Orthodox Church had existed in Ukraine for over a thousand years, and is now known as the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, the priest recalled.
"Obviously, attempts to resolve church's problems without the Church itself are doomed, as was repeatedly stated by the aforementioned Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople. Most likely, those politicians who are trying to earn political capital on this topic should heed the opinion of autocephalous Orthodox church leaders, and stop meddling in the internal affairs of the Church," the synodal department representative said.
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29