14 September 2017, 17:21
Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers
Moscow, September 14, Interfax - Police stand ready to help film distribution companies and local government bodies to ensure security during the screening of the film 'Matilda' by the moviemaker Alexey Uchitel, and decisions on extra security measures will be made depending on the situation, the Russian Interior Ministry told Interfax on Thursday.
"In light of the public's special attention to the release of the film Matilda, in order to ensure security of the viewers and prevent possible provocations, the Interior Ministry's territorial bodies have been instructed to assist distribution companies, regional executive bodies and local self-government bodies in maintaining public order at sites where the film is to be shown," the ministry said.
"Extra measures to maintain public order and protect the buildings and property of distribution companies will be devised and applied by territorial bodies of the Interior Ministry depending on the situation and information on possible unlawful actions," it said.
The film 'Matilda' by Uchitel has gained a lot of publicity long before its release. In particular, State Duma deputy Natalya Poklonskaya asked the Prosecutor General's Office to start an inquiry with regard to the film, as, in her opinion, some of its scenes may insult religious people. The film deals with relationships between future Emperor Nicholas II and ballerina Matilda (Matylda) Krzesinska amid some landmark events of Russian history. The film's official release is scheduled for October 26. The Culture Ministry granted it distribution certificate on August 10.
Amid the threats being received by movie theaters and demands that they not show the film, a number of movie networks have decided not to show it. In particular, the unified Cinema Park and Formula Kino network announced on September 12 that they would not show the film amid the incoming threats.
Unidentified people set fire to two cars near the office of Uchitel's lawyer Konstantin Dobrynin several days ago. In August, an attempt was made to set fire to Uchitel's film studio in St. Petersburg where the movie was shot.
Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky said on Twitter on September 13 that he was outraged by "the hysteria being deliberately fomented" around the film and accused activists harassing the film creators of discrediting the state's culture and church policy. Medinsky also forwarded a letter to Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev asking him to ensure security and curb possible unlawful actions during the screening of the film 'Matilda'.
State Duma deputies Irina Rodnina and Oksana Pushkina sent official requests to the Federal Security Service (FSB) and Interior Ministry on September 13 that the organizations Christian State and Sorok Sorokov, which supposedly threatened the film distributors, be checked for extremism.
- Christians of Soviet times showed an example of uncompromising faith, Benedict XVI believes 24 May 2018, 14:32
- Lawyer for convicted priest Grozovsky files appeal 24 May 2018, 14:22
- Former Pope of Rome in his book criticizes new trends in Catholicism - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 May 2018, 14:13
- Serbian patriarch supports the unity of the Russian Church 24 May 2018, 12:27
- Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country 22 May 2018, 16:50
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau 21 May 2018, 11:50
- Two policemen, churchgoer killed in special operation to eliminate militants in Grozny 21 May 2018, 11:46
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52