14 September 2017, 17:21
Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers
Moscow, September 14, Interfax - Police stand ready to help film distribution companies and local government bodies to ensure security during the screening of the film 'Matilda' by the moviemaker Alexey Uchitel, and decisions on extra security measures will be made depending on the situation, the Russian Interior Ministry told Interfax on Thursday.
"In light of the public's special attention to the release of the film Matilda, in order to ensure security of the viewers and prevent possible provocations, the Interior Ministry's territorial bodies have been instructed to assist distribution companies, regional executive bodies and local self-government bodies in maintaining public order at sites where the film is to be shown," the ministry said.
"Extra measures to maintain public order and protect the buildings and property of distribution companies will be devised and applied by territorial bodies of the Interior Ministry depending on the situation and information on possible unlawful actions," it said.
The film 'Matilda' by Uchitel has gained a lot of publicity long before its release. In particular, State Duma deputy Natalya Poklonskaya asked the Prosecutor General's Office to start an inquiry with regard to the film, as, in her opinion, some of its scenes may insult religious people. The film deals with relationships between future Emperor Nicholas II and ballerina Matilda (Matylda) Krzesinska amid some landmark events of Russian history. The film's official release is scheduled for October 26. The Culture Ministry granted it distribution certificate on August 10.
Amid the threats being received by movie theaters and demands that they not show the film, a number of movie networks have decided not to show it. In particular, the unified Cinema Park and Formula Kino network announced on September 12 that they would not show the film amid the incoming threats.
Unidentified people set fire to two cars near the office of Uchitel's lawyer Konstantin Dobrynin several days ago. In August, an attempt was made to set fire to Uchitel's film studio in St. Petersburg where the movie was shot.
Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky said on Twitter on September 13 that he was outraged by "the hysteria being deliberately fomented" around the film and accused activists harassing the film creators of discrediting the state's culture and church policy. Medinsky also forwarded a letter to Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev asking him to ensure security and curb possible unlawful actions during the screening of the film 'Matilda'.
State Duma deputies Irina Rodnina and Oksana Pushkina sent official requests to the Federal Security Service (FSB) and Interior Ministry on September 13 that the organizations Christian State and Sorok Sorokov, which supposedly threatened the film distributors, be checked for extremism.
- Patriarch Kirill urges to cultivate decisive negation of revolutions and civil conflicts 24 November 2017, 13:44
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10