14 September 2017, 17:21
Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers
Moscow, September 14, Interfax - Police stand ready to help film distribution companies and local government bodies to ensure security during the screening of the film 'Matilda' by the moviemaker Alexey Uchitel, and decisions on extra security measures will be made depending on the situation, the Russian Interior Ministry told Interfax on Thursday.
"In light of the public's special attention to the release of the film Matilda, in order to ensure security of the viewers and prevent possible provocations, the Interior Ministry's territorial bodies have been instructed to assist distribution companies, regional executive bodies and local self-government bodies in maintaining public order at sites where the film is to be shown," the ministry said.
"Extra measures to maintain public order and protect the buildings and property of distribution companies will be devised and applied by territorial bodies of the Interior Ministry depending on the situation and information on possible unlawful actions," it said.
The film 'Matilda' by Uchitel has gained a lot of publicity long before its release. In particular, State Duma deputy Natalya Poklonskaya asked the Prosecutor General's Office to start an inquiry with regard to the film, as, in her opinion, some of its scenes may insult religious people. The film deals with relationships between future Emperor Nicholas II and ballerina Matilda (Matylda) Krzesinska amid some landmark events of Russian history. The film's official release is scheduled for October 26. The Culture Ministry granted it distribution certificate on August 10.
Amid the threats being received by movie theaters and demands that they not show the film, a number of movie networks have decided not to show it. In particular, the unified Cinema Park and Formula Kino network announced on September 12 that they would not show the film amid the incoming threats.
Unidentified people set fire to two cars near the office of Uchitel's lawyer Konstantin Dobrynin several days ago. In August, an attempt was made to set fire to Uchitel's film studio in St. Petersburg where the movie was shot.
Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky said on Twitter on September 13 that he was outraged by "the hysteria being deliberately fomented" around the film and accused activists harassing the film creators of discrediting the state's culture and church policy. Medinsky also forwarded a letter to Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev asking him to ensure security and curb possible unlawful actions during the screening of the film 'Matilda'.
State Duma deputies Irina Rodnina and Oksana Pushkina sent official requests to the Federal Security Service (FSB) and Interior Ministry on September 13 that the organizations Christian State and Sorok Sorokov, which supposedly threatened the film distributors, be checked for extremism.
- A prayer about dogs and cats to held in the church near Moscow on the World Day of Protection of Homeless Animals 17 August 2018, 12:33
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22
- Over 100,000 pilgrims to attend Kiev cross procession - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2018, 14:00
- Heads, members of 10 local Orthodox Churches to celebrate 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus in Moscow 27 July 2018, 12:37
- Patriarch Kirill praises Ukrainian Orthodox Christians for staying loyal to Russian church before 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus 27 July 2018, 11:06