21 September 2017, 10:00
Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - Russia will be avoiding politicizing the issue of Soviet soldiers' feats during the Second World War, but in so doing it will be urging objectivity and the historical truth, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
At a meeting with Russia's Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar and the head of the Federation of Jewish Communities, Alexander Boroda, Putin thanked them for their position of defending the historical truth and Russia's role in the Second World War. The president stressed the importance of understanding the consequences of extremism and nationalist ideas manifest in the extermination of entire peoples.
"We must do everything to prevent this in future. So we will be making every effort to avoid any politicization. But on this sort of issues, doubtless we'll be striving for objectivity and for the truth on which alone a fair society can be based," Putin said, expressing his confidence that what the Russian Jewish community leaders said about the Soviet soldiers' role in the second world war will be heard the world over.
By tradition, on New Year Jews are remembering the exploits of those heroes who saved Jewish people in times of war. "I would therefore like to thank Russia for doing today whatever is possible all the time in order to preserve the historical truth," Lazar said.
This topic is important because Soviet soldiers played a big role in liberating many nations from the Nazi, sustaining the biggest and heaviest of losses of their own in the process. He also noted Russia's striving to renew a museum at the site of the former Sobibor concentration camp in Poland.
"And that someone wants to exclude Russia from this project today, to us this is immoral," Lazar said.
Russian Jews will be raising this issue at a meeting with other Jewish community leaders and advocating Russia's participation in this project, he said.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11
- Odessa metropolitan asks Patriarch Kirill to facilitate Ukrainian sailors' release 04 December 2018, 11:39
- Ukrainian parliament speaker wants to transfer St. Sophia Cathedral to new church created by Constantinople 03 December 2018, 14:34
- Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly 02 December 2018, 21:15
- Disbanded Constantinople's Russian archdiocese refuses to dissolve immediately 02 December 2018, 21:12