21 September 2017, 10:00
Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - Russia will be avoiding politicizing the issue of Soviet soldiers' feats during the Second World War, but in so doing it will be urging objectivity and the historical truth, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
At a meeting with Russia's Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar and the head of the Federation of Jewish Communities, Alexander Boroda, Putin thanked them for their position of defending the historical truth and Russia's role in the Second World War. The president stressed the importance of understanding the consequences of extremism and nationalist ideas manifest in the extermination of entire peoples.
"We must do everything to prevent this in future. So we will be making every effort to avoid any politicization. But on this sort of issues, doubtless we'll be striving for objectivity and for the truth on which alone a fair society can be based," Putin said, expressing his confidence that what the Russian Jewish community leaders said about the Soviet soldiers' role in the second world war will be heard the world over.
By tradition, on New Year Jews are remembering the exploits of those heroes who saved Jewish people in times of war. "I would therefore like to thank Russia for doing today whatever is possible all the time in order to preserve the historical truth," Lazar said.
This topic is important because Soviet soldiers played a big role in liberating many nations from the Nazi, sustaining the biggest and heaviest of losses of their own in the process. He also noted Russia's striving to renew a museum at the site of the former Sobibor concentration camp in Poland.
"And that someone wants to exclude Russia from this project today, to us this is immoral," Lazar said.
Russian Jews will be raising this issue at a meeting with other Jewish community leaders and advocating Russia's participation in this project, he said.
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08