21 September 2017, 10:00
Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - Russia will be avoiding politicizing the issue of Soviet soldiers' feats during the Second World War, but in so doing it will be urging objectivity and the historical truth, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
At a meeting with Russia's Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar and the head of the Federation of Jewish Communities, Alexander Boroda, Putin thanked them for their position of defending the historical truth and Russia's role in the Second World War. The president stressed the importance of understanding the consequences of extremism and nationalist ideas manifest in the extermination of entire peoples.
"We must do everything to prevent this in future. So we will be making every effort to avoid any politicization. But on this sort of issues, doubtless we'll be striving for objectivity and for the truth on which alone a fair society can be based," Putin said, expressing his confidence that what the Russian Jewish community leaders said about the Soviet soldiers' role in the second world war will be heard the world over.
By tradition, on New Year Jews are remembering the exploits of those heroes who saved Jewish people in times of war. "I would therefore like to thank Russia for doing today whatever is possible all the time in order to preserve the historical truth," Lazar said.
This topic is important because Soviet soldiers played a big role in liberating many nations from the Nazi, sustaining the biggest and heaviest of losses of their own in the process. He also noted Russia's striving to renew a museum at the site of the former Sobibor concentration camp in Poland.
"And that someone wants to exclude Russia from this project today, to us this is immoral," Lazar said.
Russian Jews will be raising this issue at a meeting with other Jewish community leaders and advocating Russia's participation in this project, he said.
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodox Church - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47
- An exhibition on how world powers rejected to accept Jews before World War II opens in Moscow 04 June 2018, 10:29
- Former Orthodox priest who joined schismatics turned out to be journalist Babchenko's "murderer" 01 June 2018, 14:34
- Serbian patriarch is listed in the Peacemaker base as an enemy of Ukraine 01 June 2018, 14:13
- Sixty thousand appeals handed over to the Patriarch of Constantinople from the faithful of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 31 May 2018, 17:20
- Dionysius icon Crucifixion to leave Russia for first time, be taken to Rome 31 May 2018, 17:01
- Pope Francis says supports unity of Russian Orthodox Church 31 May 2018, 14:42