21 September 2017, 15:48
Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - Four people have been detained as part of an inquiry opened after cars were set on fire near the office of Konstantin Dobrynin, the lawyer of Alexey Uchitel, the director of the film Matilda, and three of them have been charged, the Russian Interior Ministry said.
"Four suspects have been detained as part of a criminal investigation opened into an arson attack on cars on Starokonyushenny Lane. Three of them have already been charged with committing the aforementioned crime," Interior Ministry spokesperson Irina Volk told Interfax on Thursday.
On September 11, Dobrynin wrote on his Facebook page that unidentified arsonists had set a car on fire outside the office of Pen&Paper, a legal firm, on Starokonyushenny Lane. Visible in the photos attached to the post are pieces of paper saying: "Burn for Matilda." Police opened a criminal investigation into the intentional damage to property after two cars, one Honda and one Mercedes, were burned outside the office.
Dobrynin later asked Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) Director Alexander Bortnikov to probe the Christian State organization on terrorism charges. In his request, Dobrynin drew Bortnikov's attention to Christian State - Holy Rus leader Alexander Kalinin's interview with the website Meduza, which, according to the lawyer, contains remarks justifying violence and property destruction to achieve a ban on Matilda.
The film's official release is scheduled for October 26. The film deals with the relationship between future Emperor Nicholas II and ballerina Matilda (Matylda) Krzesinska against the background of landmark events in Russian history.
The film gained publicity long before its release. It has drawn a vigorously negative reaction from State Duma deputy Natalya Poklonskaya.
It was reported on Wednesday that Kalinin and another three suspects in the car arson case had been detained in the Lipetsk Region.
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08