29 September 2017, 13:39
Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox
Tashkent, September 29, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia sees positive dynamics in the relations between Orthodox Christians and Uzbekistan's Muslims.
"It is good that the relations between Islam and the Orthodox Church are so good, and they are even more advanced now than they were at the time when I [last] visited Uzbekistan," he told reporters upon arriving in Tashkent on Friday.
Many citizens of Uzbekistan work in Russia, he said. "The fact that such a good exchange exists now is a good guarantee that relations between our countries will always be good," Patriarch Kirill said.
The patriarch timed his visit to the 145th anniversary of the start of active church life in the Tashkent Diocese.
The Russian Orthodox Church in Uzbekistan is the second-largest religious organization in the country, after the Directorate of Muslims. There are 38 churches, as well as monasteries and cloisters, in the country. The newspaper Slovo Zhizni and the magazine Vostok Svyshe are published there. There is also a seminary, the Tashkent Orthodox Spiritual Seminary, where students from Uzbekistan and neighboring countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Russia) are studying.
According to the republic's committee on religious affairs, over 2,220 religious organizations, of which 95% are Muslim, are registered on its territory. In addition, there are 159 Christian organizations, eight Jewish communities, six Baha'i communities, one Krishna society and one Buddhist temple n Uzbekistan.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56