03 October 2017, 10:00
Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia
Moscow, October 3, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church is seeing progress in the assessment by the United States of the real situation around the freedom of conscience in Russia.
"Unlike in previous years, the document [the U.S. secretary of state's report on the freedom of conscience] does not posit that the Russian Orthodox Church is getting closer to the status of becoming a state one, nor does it see the introduction of the 'Principles of Christian Orthodox Culture' module at general-education schools as a threat to religious freedom. It does not, as it did previously, cite the unfair accusations that the Church had inspired persecution of religious minorities," Metropolitan Hilarion, head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, said, the Church's press service said.
This and other assessments of the U.S report on the freedom of conscience for the past year were set out by Metropolitan Hilarion in a letter to U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, the statement said.
At the same time, the report contains a number of assertions based on non-objective information, the Russian clergyman said.
For example, the situation around construction of a church at Torfyanka Park in Moscow was presented only from the viewpoint of those who opposed the construction and nothing is being said of the reconciliatory position of the Russian Church, he said.
Metropolitan Hilarion also disagreed with the document's negative assessment of the Church's participation in the state grant distribution system.
The report's strength is in having registered a significant number of violations by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of believers' rights, Metropolitan Hilarion said. Nevertheless, many facts remained unnoticed, while some were either set out inaccurately or based on unfaithful data, such as religious demographic statistics in Ukraine, he said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church, probably like no other major religious community in the world, knows full well what a violation of religious rights and freedoms is. This year we are remembering the centenary since persecution began against believers in our country on a scale unseen in global history," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
That is exactly why the Russian Orthodox Church is defending the right of Christians, especially in those countries where they constitute a religious minority, to profess their faith freely and the right to peaceful co-existence in their ancestral land, the Russian clergyman said.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58