04 October 2017, 17:58
Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus
Baku, October 4, Interfax - Every meeting of the religious leaders of Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Russia is a step forward in settling the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the head of the Muslim Board of the Caucasus, Sheikhulislam Allahshukur Pasha-zade, said.
"Despite the attempts of certain circles to convert the Karabakh conflict into a religious conflict, the religious leaders of the conflicting sides sitting down to the negotiating table succeeded to a certain extent in preventing the spread of the opinion that it is a conflict between Christians and Muslims," Pasha-zade said to the Azerbaijani state news agency Azertaj.
He said that the talks with Catholicos of all Armenians Karekin II and Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill in Moscow in September were the continuation of meetings held in a similar format since the beginning of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh in 1988.
He expressed the conviction that every meeting, irrespective of its scale, is a step toward settling the conflict.
"We always declare that the Azerbaijani and Armenian peoples will be living next to each other. Therefore, there is no other prospect except peace and cooperation. In these conditions, we as religious leaders, for the sake of the future of our peoples, are responsible for looking for joint responses and should pool efforts to remove contradictions and settle conflicts by peaceful and fair ways," Pasha-zade said.
This should primarily apply to humanitarian problems, he said.
"For instance, at the suggestion of Patriarch Kirill, as part of the latest meeting we determined the powers for releasing civilians that did not take part in hostilities and are innocent victims of the conflict. The question of mutual protection and the inviolability of mosques, churches, and other religious monuments was also raised," he said.
He said that many arguments and mutual accusations were expressed at the Moscow meeting, where the atmosphere was tense.
"The Armenian side agreed with our proposals with great difficulty and tried to end the talks. But the prevention of bloodshed in the region, the settlement of the conflict by peaceful ways is above everything. Therefore, I find it important to hold such trilateral meetings," Pasha-zade said.
"I express my gratitude to Patriarch Kirill for his mediation, for his peacekeeping mission," he said.
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57