17 October 2017, 14:14
Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine
St. Petersburg, October 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia urged parliamentarians from different countries of the world to pay special attention to the attempts of the Verkhovnaya Rada MPs to adopt bills that will infringe on the religious rights of the believers belonging to the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"I cannot help mentioning about continuous legislative attempts in Ukraine to discriminate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, with which people bind hopes for interethnic reconciliation. Suggested bills, lobbied by radical political and nationalistic forces, will set up legal conditions for bureaucratic interference in internal affairs of dioceses and communities and will result in even tougher religious schism in Ukrainian society," the patriarch said at the 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly held in Petersburg.
The primate stressed that today there is no other force in Ukrainian society, except the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church that can become "a foundation for inter-ethnic reconciliation."
To illustrate his words, the patriarch reminded about the procession with cross in Ukraine which was organized by the canonical Church of Ukraine and attracted over 100,000 people. According to the patriarch, this large-scale action demonstrated that the Orthodox Church in Ukraine stood "exceptionally for internal peace," while the mentioned legislative initiatives of the Verkhovnaya Rada seek "to make believers and the Church an instrument of the inner political struggle."
"It is absolutely unacceptable. I ask you to pay special attention to this situation," the patriarch summed up.
It was reported that Bill No. 4511, which the Verkhovnaya Rada is expected to debate at its session on Thursday, proposes granting special status to religious organizations "the administrative centers of which are located in a state which is designated by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state."
Bill No. 4128 suggests allowing people who are members of a church community to change this church community's charter by a simple majority of votes, a move that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will result in legalizing "forcible" takeovers of its churches and transferring control over them to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
Earlier, besides Russian politicians and diplomats, other local Orthodox Churches and Vatican spoke against adopting these bills.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40