17 October 2017, 14:14
Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine
St. Petersburg, October 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia urged parliamentarians from different countries of the world to pay special attention to the attempts of the Verkhovnaya Rada MPs to adopt bills that will infringe on the religious rights of the believers belonging to the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"I cannot help mentioning about continuous legislative attempts in Ukraine to discriminate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, with which people bind hopes for interethnic reconciliation. Suggested bills, lobbied by radical political and nationalistic forces, will set up legal conditions for bureaucratic interference in internal affairs of dioceses and communities and will result in even tougher religious schism in Ukrainian society," the patriarch said at the 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly held in Petersburg.
The primate stressed that today there is no other force in Ukrainian society, except the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church that can become "a foundation for inter-ethnic reconciliation."
To illustrate his words, the patriarch reminded about the procession with cross in Ukraine which was organized by the canonical Church of Ukraine and attracted over 100,000 people. According to the patriarch, this large-scale action demonstrated that the Orthodox Church in Ukraine stood "exceptionally for internal peace," while the mentioned legislative initiatives of the Verkhovnaya Rada seek "to make believers and the Church an instrument of the inner political struggle."
"It is absolutely unacceptable. I ask you to pay special attention to this situation," the patriarch summed up.
It was reported that Bill No. 4511, which the Verkhovnaya Rada is expected to debate at its session on Thursday, proposes granting special status to religious organizations "the administrative centers of which are located in a state which is designated by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state."
Bill No. 4128 suggests allowing people who are members of a church community to change this church community's charter by a simple majority of votes, a move that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will result in legalizing "forcible" takeovers of its churches and transferring control over them to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
Earlier, besides Russian politicians and diplomats, other local Orthodox Churches and Vatican spoke against adopting these bills.
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41
- Twelve held in south Kazakhstan for extremism propaganda on social media 01 February 2018, 10:49
- Attempts to deny Holocaust, belittle USSR's role in victory over Nazis must be foiled - Putin 29 January 2018, 18:12
- Russian Jews call on Poland to allow Russia's participation in building Sobibor memorial 26 January 2018, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill alarmed by spread of cryptocurrencies 25 January 2018, 17:19
- Cooperation with secular universities makes Islamic education 'fundamental' - Putin 25 January 2018, 17:04
- Russia without future if it follows Europe's example in issues of religion - Deputy Speaker Tolstoy 25 January 2018, 17:00
- Priest Grozovsky's lawyers file appeal in child abuse case 25 January 2018, 15:35
- Govt to continue supporting Islamic education – Putin 25 January 2018, 11:23
- Putin stresses importance of development of Russian Islamic theological school 25 January 2018, 11:22
- Patriarch Kirill says many people in the West lay their hopes on Putin 24 January 2018, 17:50
- UN, OSCE, EU should react to harassment of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Lavrov 24 January 2018, 17:29
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34