17 October 2017, 14:14
Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine
St. Petersburg, October 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia urged parliamentarians from different countries of the world to pay special attention to the attempts of the Verkhovnaya Rada MPs to adopt bills that will infringe on the religious rights of the believers belonging to the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"I cannot help mentioning about continuous legislative attempts in Ukraine to discriminate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, with which people bind hopes for interethnic reconciliation. Suggested bills, lobbied by radical political and nationalistic forces, will set up legal conditions for bureaucratic interference in internal affairs of dioceses and communities and will result in even tougher religious schism in Ukrainian society," the patriarch said at the 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly held in Petersburg.
The primate stressed that today there is no other force in Ukrainian society, except the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church that can become "a foundation for inter-ethnic reconciliation."
To illustrate his words, the patriarch reminded about the procession with cross in Ukraine which was organized by the canonical Church of Ukraine and attracted over 100,000 people. According to the patriarch, this large-scale action demonstrated that the Orthodox Church in Ukraine stood "exceptionally for internal peace," while the mentioned legislative initiatives of the Verkhovnaya Rada seek "to make believers and the Church an instrument of the inner political struggle."
"It is absolutely unacceptable. I ask you to pay special attention to this situation," the patriarch summed up.
It was reported that Bill No. 4511, which the Verkhovnaya Rada is expected to debate at its session on Thursday, proposes granting special status to religious organizations "the administrative centers of which are located in a state which is designated by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state."
Bill No. 4128 suggests allowing people who are members of a church community to change this church community's charter by a simple majority of votes, a move that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will result in legalizing "forcible" takeovers of its churches and transferring control over them to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
Earlier, besides Russian politicians and diplomats, other local Orthodox Churches and Vatican spoke against adopting these bills.
- The Museum of Ball opened in Sochi is decorated with frescoes painted by church artists 20 June 2018, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of UN Secretary-General to harmful for humanity consequences of giving up traditional morals 20 June 2018, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill urges UN Secretary-General to help Middle Eastern Christians return home 20 June 2018, 16:51
- Polygamy banned in Turkmenistan 19 June 2018, 17:01
- Foundation stone to the Church of Holy Doctor the Passion-Bearer Eugeny Botkin laid in the Urals 19 June 2018, 13:33
- Helicopter with the Icon of the Mother of God flew over all WC-2018 objects in Saransk 19 June 2018, 13:06
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodoxy - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47