18 October 2017, 17:12
Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin
Moscow, October 18, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has upheld the arrest of Alexander Kalinin, leader of the Christian State organization, who is charged with trying to deter movie theaters from screening the movie Matilda, an Interfax correspondent reported.
"The decision made by the Moscow Tagansky District Court on September 23 is upheld, the appeal filed by defense lawyer Savchenko is declined," the court said in its decision read on Wednesday.
Thus, Kalinin will stay in custody until November 22.
In his appeal, Dmitry Savchenko, a defense lawyer for Kalinin, asked the court to reverse the decision to put his client in custody and place him under house arrest.
The lawyer said Kalinin had no intention to hide from investigators and the court, had responded to summons from law enforcement agencies at first request from the beginning of this year and is characterized positively.
Kalinin told the court he does not consider himself a criminal and said the charges against him are "just a pretext to keep him in custody."
"As a citizen of Russia and a believer, I had no right to be silent. By sending those letters I wanted to warn the owners of movie theaters that they would involuntarily become accomplices in a crime. There was no coercion to refuse the deal. The film received a screening certificate eight months after the letters were sent. I am not a criminal, I love Russia and God," Kalinin said.
The prosecutor, for his part, had objected to granting the request made by the Christian State leader.
Christian State leader Alexander Kalinin was detained on September 23 as part of an investigation into attempts to deter film providers from screening Alexey Uchitel's film Matilda. The Moscow Tagansky District Court arrested him until November 22 on the same day. He was charged with fanning hatred or feud or belittling a person's dignity.
Kalinin denies his guilt but does not deny that he has sent letters with threats to movie theaters for religious reasons.
- New church of Ukraine in contact with SBU, but doesn't coordinate actions – Filaret 21 January 2019, 12:39
- Group of Ukrainian parliamentarians challenges constitutionality of law obliging Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name 21 January 2019, 12:06
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55