20 October 2017, 10:27
Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform
Dushanbe, October 20, Interfax - A conscript belonging to the Jehovah's Witnesses, which are banned in Tajikistan, has been sentenced to six months of imprisonment in the country's south for refusing to wear an army uniform.
The local media reported on Thursday citing a source at the Khatlon Region's military court that 18-year-old Daniil Islomov was sentenced under the article concerning 'Evasion of military service by a serviceman through causing bodily damage or simulating sickness or other deception.'
It is reported that Islomov, who calls himself a Jehovah 's Witness, was called up for army service from Dushanbe last April.
"At the conscription center the young man already declared that wearing a military uniform contradicted his religious beliefs. He was ready for alternative civilian service but was refused. Daniil was sent to serve at an army unit in Kurgan-Tyube," the report said.
Previously, Khatlon military court judge Alisher Rafikzoda, speaking to the Tajik service of Radio Liberty said that Islomov did once put on a military uniform a single time because "wearing a military uniform allegedly contradicts his religious beliefs."
"During the investigation, Daniil was not detained and remained in the grounds of his army unit. After the sentence was handed down last week, the young man was taken to a high security penitentiary in Kurgan-Tyube," the judge said.
Islomov's family intends to protest the sentence.
Jehovah's Witnesses fully ban involvement in any hostilities, whether a war is of aggressive or defensive nature. Correspondingly, military service in any form is unacceptable for them, and the adepts of the religious movement cannot wear military uniforms or take up arms.
According to Office of Civil Liberties head Dilrabo Samadova, alternative civilian service is a special form of work done by conscripts instead of army service. However, Tajikistan does not have such a law even though last spring a special working group of the Defense Ministry drafted a bill on alternative service and submitted it to the government.
Tajikistan banned the Jehovah's Witnesses in its territory in autumn 2007. The authorities announced that members of the movement regularly violated provisions of the law on religion and religious organizations.
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41