20 October 2017, 10:27
Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform
Dushanbe, October 20, Interfax - A conscript belonging to the Jehovah's Witnesses, which are banned in Tajikistan, has been sentenced to six months of imprisonment in the country's south for refusing to wear an army uniform.
The local media reported on Thursday citing a source at the Khatlon Region's military court that 18-year-old Daniil Islomov was sentenced under the article concerning 'Evasion of military service by a serviceman through causing bodily damage or simulating sickness or other deception.'
It is reported that Islomov, who calls himself a Jehovah 's Witness, was called up for army service from Dushanbe last April.
"At the conscription center the young man already declared that wearing a military uniform contradicted his religious beliefs. He was ready for alternative civilian service but was refused. Daniil was sent to serve at an army unit in Kurgan-Tyube," the report said.
Previously, Khatlon military court judge Alisher Rafikzoda, speaking to the Tajik service of Radio Liberty said that Islomov did once put on a military uniform a single time because "wearing a military uniform allegedly contradicts his religious beliefs."
"During the investigation, Daniil was not detained and remained in the grounds of his army unit. After the sentence was handed down last week, the young man was taken to a high security penitentiary in Kurgan-Tyube," the judge said.
Islomov's family intends to protest the sentence.
Jehovah's Witnesses fully ban involvement in any hostilities, whether a war is of aggressive or defensive nature. Correspondingly, military service in any form is unacceptable for them, and the adepts of the religious movement cannot wear military uniforms or take up arms.
According to Office of Civil Liberties head Dilrabo Samadova, alternative civilian service is a special form of work done by conscripts instead of army service. However, Tajikistan does not have such a law even though last spring a special working group of the Defense Ministry drafted a bill on alternative service and submitted it to the government.
Tajikistan banned the Jehovah's Witnesses in its territory in autumn 2007. The authorities announced that members of the movement regularly violated provisions of the law on religion and religious organizations.
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11