20 October 2017, 10:27
Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform
Dushanbe, October 20, Interfax - A conscript belonging to the Jehovah's Witnesses, which are banned in Tajikistan, has been sentenced to six months of imprisonment in the country's south for refusing to wear an army uniform.
The local media reported on Thursday citing a source at the Khatlon Region's military court that 18-year-old Daniil Islomov was sentenced under the article concerning 'Evasion of military service by a serviceman through causing bodily damage or simulating sickness or other deception.'
It is reported that Islomov, who calls himself a Jehovah 's Witness, was called up for army service from Dushanbe last April.
"At the conscription center the young man already declared that wearing a military uniform contradicted his religious beliefs. He was ready for alternative civilian service but was refused. Daniil was sent to serve at an army unit in Kurgan-Tyube," the report said.
Previously, Khatlon military court judge Alisher Rafikzoda, speaking to the Tajik service of Radio Liberty said that Islomov did once put on a military uniform a single time because "wearing a military uniform allegedly contradicts his religious beliefs."
"During the investigation, Daniil was not detained and remained in the grounds of his army unit. After the sentence was handed down last week, the young man was taken to a high security penitentiary in Kurgan-Tyube," the judge said.
Islomov's family intends to protest the sentence.
Jehovah's Witnesses fully ban involvement in any hostilities, whether a war is of aggressive or defensive nature. Correspondingly, military service in any form is unacceptable for them, and the adepts of the religious movement cannot wear military uniforms or take up arms.
According to Office of Civil Liberties head Dilrabo Samadova, alternative civilian service is a special form of work done by conscripts instead of army service. However, Tajikistan does not have such a law even though last spring a special working group of the Defense Ministry drafted a bill on alternative service and submitted it to the government.
Tajikistan banned the Jehovah's Witnesses in its territory in autumn 2007. The authorities announced that members of the movement regularly violated provisions of the law on religion and religious organizations.
- The Museum of Ball opened in Sochi is decorated with frescoes painted by church artists 20 June 2018, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of UN Secretary-General to harmful for humanity consequences of giving up traditional morals 20 June 2018, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill urges UN Secretary-General to help Middle Eastern Christians return home 20 June 2018, 16:51
- Polygamy banned in Turkmenistan 19 June 2018, 17:01
- Foundation stone to the Church of Holy Doctor the Passion-Bearer Eugeny Botkin laid in the Urals 19 June 2018, 13:33
- Helicopter with the Icon of the Mother of God flew over all WC-2018 objects in Saransk 19 June 2018, 13:06
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodoxy - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47