12 May 2006, 10:27
All-Diaspora Council favors unification with Moscow Patriarchate
San Francisco, May 12, Interfax - The majority of delegates to the IV All-Diaspora Council of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia has voted for a resolution expressing determination to heal the wounds of the division of the Russian Church.
The resolution of the council under way in San Francisco also voices hope that "the unity of the Russian Church will be restored on the basis of the truth of Christ offering us the possibility to serve together."
The delegates found it necessary to confirm the future canonical status of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia as a self-governing part of the Russian Church in compliance with its current regulations.
At the same time they indicated that the involvement of the Moscow Patriarchate in the activities of the World Council of Churches is troubling the clergy and parishioners.
The delegates hoped that the coming Local Council of the unified Russian Church will settle the issues that remain open.
The Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia was established during the civil war by Russian clergymen in emigration under an edict of Patriarch Tikhon who headed the Russian Church in those days.
Presently it unites about half a million believers living in over 30 countries outside of Russia.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union head of the Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) Patriarch Alexy II made several calls to the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia to start the unification process in the belief that the obstacles to the unification had disappeared.
In May 2004 he had his first meeting with the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church outside Russia Metropolitan Laurus and they decided to work for the unification of the two parts of the Russian Church.
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04
- Russian Orthodox Church will be built in Kabul 28 September 2017, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Uzbekistan 27 September 2017, 15:43
- Russia was the first to discover destructive essence of Gulen's sect - Mufti Krganov 27 September 2017, 10:29
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52