12 May 2006, 10:27
All-Diaspora Council favors unification with Moscow Patriarchate
San Francisco, May 12, Interfax - The majority of delegates to the IV All-Diaspora Council of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia has voted for a resolution expressing determination to heal the wounds of the division of the Russian Church.
The resolution of the council under way in San Francisco also voices hope that "the unity of the Russian Church will be restored on the basis of the truth of Christ offering us the possibility to serve together."
The delegates found it necessary to confirm the future canonical status of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia as a self-governing part of the Russian Church in compliance with its current regulations.
At the same time they indicated that the involvement of the Moscow Patriarchate in the activities of the World Council of Churches is troubling the clergy and parishioners.
The delegates hoped that the coming Local Council of the unified Russian Church will settle the issues that remain open.
The Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia was established during the civil war by Russian clergymen in emigration under an edict of Patriarch Tikhon who headed the Russian Church in those days.
Presently it unites about half a million believers living in over 30 countries outside of Russia.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union head of the Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) Patriarch Alexy II made several calls to the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia to start the unification process in the belief that the obstacles to the unification had disappeared.
In May 2004 he had his first meeting with the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church outside Russia Metropolitan Laurus and they decided to work for the unification of the two parts of the Russian Church.
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41
- Twelve held in south Kazakhstan for extremism propaganda on social media 01 February 2018, 10:49
- Attempts to deny Holocaust, belittle USSR's role in victory over Nazis must be foiled - Putin 29 January 2018, 18:12
- Russian Jews call on Poland to allow Russia's participation in building Sobibor memorial 26 January 2018, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill alarmed by spread of cryptocurrencies 25 January 2018, 17:19
- Cooperation with secular universities makes Islamic education 'fundamental' - Putin 25 January 2018, 17:04
- Russia without future if it follows Europe's example in issues of religion - Deputy Speaker Tolstoy 25 January 2018, 17:00
- Priest Grozovsky's lawyers file appeal in child abuse case 25 January 2018, 15:35
- Govt to continue supporting Islamic education – Putin 25 January 2018, 11:23