12 May 2006, 10:27
All-Diaspora Council favors unification with Moscow Patriarchate
San Francisco, May 12, Interfax - The majority of delegates to the IV All-Diaspora Council of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia has voted for a resolution expressing determination to heal the wounds of the division of the Russian Church.
The resolution of the council under way in San Francisco also voices hope that "the unity of the Russian Church will be restored on the basis of the truth of Christ offering us the possibility to serve together."
The delegates found it necessary to confirm the future canonical status of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia as a self-governing part of the Russian Church in compliance with its current regulations.
At the same time they indicated that the involvement of the Moscow Patriarchate in the activities of the World Council of Churches is troubling the clergy and parishioners.
The delegates hoped that the coming Local Council of the unified Russian Church will settle the issues that remain open.
The Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia was established during the civil war by Russian clergymen in emigration under an edict of Patriarch Tikhon who headed the Russian Church in those days.
Presently it unites about half a million believers living in over 30 countries outside of Russia.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union head of the Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) Patriarch Alexy II made several calls to the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia to start the unification process in the belief that the obstacles to the unification had disappeared.
In May 2004 he had his first meeting with the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church outside Russia Metropolitan Laurus and they decided to work for the unification of the two parts of the Russian Church.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18