12 May 2006, 10:31
Moscow Patriarchate welcomes the decision of the 4th All-Diaspora Council to reunite with the Church in the Fatherland (updated)
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate welcomes the decision of the 4th All-Diaspora Council of the Russian Church Outside of Russia to restore unity with the Church in the Fatherland. The decision was carried by the majority.
‘We welcome the 4th All-Diaspora Council delegates resolution opening the door to quick overcoming of the schism between the two parts of the Russian Orthodox Church that lasted for over eight decades,’ secretary of the Moscow Patriarchate Commission for dialogue with the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia archpriest Nikolay Balashov told Interfax on Friday.
He also noted that the restoration of unity was of tremendous spiritual significance for the Russian Church.
The interviewee is convinced that ‘having one Church, Russia would be stronger, wherever its children live. The unity of the Church is needed for our national revival and for rooting those spiritual values in the Motherland by which the Civil War time emigrants stood by ’.
He remarked that when the Church has regained its freedom in the early 1990s, ‘when the revival of church life earlier chained by stifling limits began,’ many people had expected the reunion with the church abroad soon to follow.
According to Rev. Nikolay, there are practical, ecclesiastical and canonical problems to be resolved. These include, for example, the ROCOR parishes on the territory of the Moscow Patriarchate, mostly in Russia and Ukraine, and the situation of certain clergymen. ‘However, they could be solved in the near future, as the principle approach to their solution has been outlined’, he noted.
The All-Diaspora Council’s resolution says that the ROCOR would retain its current canonical status as a self-governing part within the one Russian Church. Proper relation of this part of the church to the Moscow Patriarchate and its Primate would be restored in accordance with the canons.
- Putin takes part in Epiphany bathing 19 January 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch Kirill conveys a ton of oranges to hospitals and social facilities of Moscow 18 January 2021, 19:03
- Stepashin asks Israeli govt to protect Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem 18 January 2021, 18:59
- Parish in eastern U.S. returns to Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which it left after its reunion with Moscow Patriarchate 18 January 2021, 16:56
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39
- Hope, expectation of miracle human's guiding light - Putin 07 January 2021, 17:36
- Pope Francis accepts Belarusian Catholic leader Kondrusiewicz's resignation 03 January 2021, 17:18
- Russian Orthodox Church postpones Christmas Readings to Easter due to Covid-19 pandemic 30 December 2020, 19:01
- Moscow court arrests ex-schema-monk Sergy for 2 months 29 December 2020, 21:14
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy suspected of persuading 10 nuns to commit suicide 29 December 2020, 20:58
- Russian Bishops' Council to be held on November 15-18, 2021 29 December 2020, 19:57
- Russian Orthodox Church wished Russians to keep faith, hope and love 28 December 2020, 13:16
- Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country 24 December 2020, 15:11
- Lukashenko reminds Belarusians of forgiveness, help to needy in Christmas Eve message 24 December 2020, 10:41