21 November 2017, 10:00
Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions
Moscow, November 21, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has called on the country's intellectuals "not to mislead people," in order to prevent a repeat of the events of 100 years ago in Russia.
"Today, sin is not just obvious (...) Today sin is demonstrated in the most appealing way: through cinema, through theater... And art, which is meant to cultivate human individuals, enrich and uplift them to the skies, is becoming a kettlebell that does not permit man to fly up," the patriarch said in a sermon at the Christ the Savior Cathedral on Monday.
He said that he did not mean all of art, but only that which has in recent years been claiming "some special role, special rights to bring temptation and sin to people and to mislead the people."
In the church's dialogue with those who do this, "a very large part of our intelligentsia is repeating the pernicious mistake of their predecessors, who brought the country to ruin: the events of the revolution whose centenary we are remembering this year," the patriarch said.
"Now is not the time to rock the boat of human passions, now is the time to unite all healthy forces - the Church, the art, the culture, our authors, scientists - all those people, who love their country, must today be together because we are entering a critical period in the development of human civilization," the patriarch said.
"This is already obvious to the untrained eye. One should be blind not to see the coming of the omens of history, of which the apostle and evangelist St. John spoke in his [Book of] Revelation," the Russian patriarch said.
Christianity teaches that whether the apocalypse is near depends on us, so public people in particular should realize their responsibility for Russia and for the whole human species and "halt our slide into the abyss of the end of history."
Patriarch Kirill turned 71 yesterday.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57